New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift bullet data for 30-06 needed
 Login/Join

<BC hunter>
posted
Hi fellows, I was wondering if any of you may have bought the new Swift bullet loading manual yet?
They are still not available in any of the local gun stores around here yet. I was hoping that someone may be able to give me the data listed for the Swift A-frame 180grain, for the 30-06
I have had the bullets for about 3 months now, but was hesitant to load any without some safe, starting, and maximum load info for them.
Post them here if you wish, as others may be able to use the info as well, or e-mail me.
Thanks in advance!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which powder are you looking for data on?

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
<BC hunter>
posted
Powders that I currently have on hand is the IMR4064, and Aliant RL22.
I was looking to get a fairly good velocity, if possible 2700fps at muzzle or thereabouts. I figure this would give the downrange velocity to still make such a tough jacketed bullet expand reasonably well. I would try other powders if the ones I have on hand are not going to be able to give me the performance.

<BC hunter>
posted
I am suprised, none of you fellow handloaders have any info you can offer me on the Swift bullet data. Hasn't anyone found the new Swift book yet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 22" 30-06, 62 grains of RL22 gives 2875 fps with no over-pressure signs, using Nosler 180 Partitions. The Swift bullet should not be too different. Start 10% below that and work up. I had to tap the case to get the powder in, but it was worth the trouble. Great load.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BC Hunter,

I have the New Swift manual, and while not overly impressed with it, it does have data for the powders you request. Much of the data cintained seems to be lawyer proofed. But, some is spot on as well. The data for .30-06 with 180 gr. A-Frames used Federal brass and Federal 210 primers. The test barrel was 24" with a 1-10" twist rate.

Rl-22
Starting load 56.7 grs - 2455 fps

Maximum load 61.0 grs - 2708 fps

IMR 4064
Starting load 44.2 grs - 2371 fps

Maximum load 47.5 grs - 2695 fps

I hope this is a good starting point for your use.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BC Hunter,
check your email
John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
<BC hunter>
posted
Thanks to all who responded! At least it gives me a jumping off point.
KLN, you are getting some impressive velocity for those Nosler's for a 22" barrel!!
BC Hunter