Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't discount the Lee Collet!
 Login/Join

posted
Don't discount the Lee Collet die out of hand. Here is a short video I made.

OK, its not up to Redding Competition Bushing die standards, but at least any neck wall variation is pushed to the outside - good for hunting loads which you cant be bothered to neck turn Smiler
Likewise, they are great to use before neckturning - with the variation on the outside, you can get very consistent neck wall thickness.

I honestly believe these Lee Collets are better than any die with a button. That said, you do need a press with a positive handle stop. Without this the neck tension does seem to vary.

Kev.

Posts: 13 | Location: Angus Scotland | Registered: 23 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks - great VID and very informative.

Bob

Posts: 7 | Location: Gloucester, MA | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A nice and interesting video! I'm a Lee Collet and Factory crimp dies fan; I own a set for almost everything I reload for.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Lee Collet dies produce less run out than any other dies I use(RCBS, HDY, Fstr, Redd, etc).

I use the collet dies for several carts. When the shoulders need to be "bumped" I use the redding body dies along with the collet dies.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use one for my 260ai, works great.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have Lee Collet Dies for 223 Rem., 404 Jeffery, and 450/400 3 inch.

My son-in-law uses the Lapua brass I reload with the Lee dies to shoot 300 yard F Class.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stupid question, what loading press were you using in that video?

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by filmit:
Stupid question, what loading press were you using in that video?

Forster Co-Ax.

Kev.

Posts: 13 | Location: Angus Scotland | Registered: 23 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee collet die exclusively for cartridges only getting neck sized including for my 30 PPC Largo wildcat's best group of .257"

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ihave Collet de Luxe dies for .22Hornet, .222Rem, .223Rem, .22-250Rem and .30-06Spr calibers. coffee

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
A nice and interesting video! I'm a Lee Collet and Factory crimp dies fan; I own a set for almost everything I reload for.

Likewise, I use Lee Collet dies and Factory Crimp dies and have found them to produce very accurate ammunition. I have both dies for 22-250, .257 Rob. and 30-06 Spr.

It's great not having to lube the brass every time I run a batch of cases through the process and then having to clean up the lube afterwards.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LEE COLLET DIES are the best value in reloading period!! Anytime that you can keep an expander ball out of that neck on the upstroke of the press handle, you've saved yourself some run-out! And you have created more accurate ammo!! Richard Lee was a genius!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, its not up to Redding Competition Bushing die standards,

I agree with all you stated EXCEPT this one!

Gaging "standards" only by results, I feel my Lee collet neck dies are better than any others, at any price, period; at least for factory (SAAMI chambered) rifles.

I've gone to using body dies along with the collet neck dies instead of FL sizing for my most accurate rifles.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
The Lee Collet dies produce less run out than any other dies I use(RCBS, HDY, Fstr, Redd, etc).

I use the collet dies for several carts. When the shoulders need to be "bumped" I use the redding body dies along with the collet dies.

Reloader

Amen!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
LOVE the collet dies......if only they made one for the 280 Ackley Improved.

Posts: 4 | Location: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Szczepaniak:
LOVE the collet dies......if only they made one for the 280 Ackley Improved.

They do, it's the regular 280 rem collet die (might be called the 7mm Express, will check it out next time I pull the box). From the Lee site (go to FAQ, then dies then Ackley)

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

quote:
Ackley Improved Cases

The standard Collet die for the parent cartridge should work, provided that the base to neck/shoulder intersection dimension has not changed. Most Ackley Imp. cartridges have less body taper, and a steeper shoulder angle, but the distance from the base of the case to the neck/shoulder intersection is not changed. There is enough clearance in the collet to accommodate the improved cartridge

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the collet die is that you still need another size die. Brass not fired in the gun or brass that expands so it is too tight will still need another size die.
I agree they do a good job but there an extra expense involved.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I use Lee's 257 Bob collet die for my 257 AI

use in same rifle so don't FL re-size anymore

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
The problem with the collet die is that you still need another size die. Brass not fired in the gun or brass that expands so it is too tight will still need another size die.
I agree they do a good job but there an extra expense involved.

Not significant. Example for 30-06 a Lee Collet is $20.00 and a Redding Body Die $24.00. By comparison a Forster Full Length is $32.00 or a Redding Bushing Die is $47.50

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will the Lee Collet neck sizer work in a progressive press? Caliber would be 204 or 223.

Thx

Mike

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to make sure, I fully understand, what's happening:

The Lee collet presses the neck walls against the mandrel. So there is pressure exerted both to the inside and outside at the same time. That's why the run-out is minimized. And neck wall thickness should be standardized. In this case not by taking material off but by letting it flow to some other part of the case.

In a conventional die the outside diamater is sized down first, and only in a second step the expander ball will widen up the mouth again. So any irragularities of the neck wall thickness will be pushed back to the outside of the neck. As a consequence there will be more run-out, when necks are measured on the outside.

So far so good. Lee's collet die will produce very equal necks. But what's with the excess material having been pushed "away" from the necks? Where is it now? I would think somewhere in the shoulder area. So the problem of unequal neck wall dimensions is simply shifted to another part of the case. Correct?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I must to use conwertional die, I take off expander ballrod. Then I use Collet die only for neck expansion and extraction of spendid primers.

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another vid showing the Lee Collet die. It talks about the sticking problem that can occur. I have had that problem but I solved my problem by using some lapping coumpound and lapping the parts together and then some graphite. I didn't have any problems with the die until after extensive use and it was a very easy fix. Dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...UGnM&feature=related

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McFox:
Just to make sure, I fully understand, what's happening:

The Lee collet presses the neck walls against the mandrel. So there is pressure exerted both to the inside and outside at the same time. That's why the run-out is minimized. And neck wall thickness should be standardized. In this case not by taking material off but by letting it flow to some other part of the case.

In a conventional die the outside diamater is sized down first, and only in a second step the expander ball will widen up the mouth again. So any irragularities of the neck wall thickness will be pushed back to the outside of the neck. As a consequence there will be more run-out, when necks are measured on the outside.

So far so good. Lee's collet die will produce very equal necks. But what's with the excess material having been pushed "away" from the necks? Where is it now? I would think somewhere in the shoulder area. So the problem of unequal neck wall dimensions is simply shifted to another part of the case. Correct?

It is my understanding that the Lee Collet does not push the brass somewhere else. The collets have more give than the mandrel so the neck thickness irregularities will be pushed to the outside. The mandrel is free floating so it does not push the neck one way or the other.

The Lee Collet will not remove runout measured on the neck that is induced by variances in neck thickness, it reduces runout as measured on the bullet. That is what is important anyway.

One other advantage of the Lee Collet is that it also reduces work hardening of the neck. With an expander ball the neck is sized in and then out, 2 work hardening operations. With the Lee Collet it is only sized once.

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Rusty,

Where did you get your 450/400 Collet die? Lee doesn't seem to list them.

Thanks

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my story on Lee Collet dies.

I went to the store and bought a set for 7Rem mag and 223.

Then I went home and loaded up some ammo.

Then I went to the range and proceded to fire the smallest groups I have ever shot out of both rifles.

The end.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigfats:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Rusty,

Where did you get your 450/400 Collet die? Lee doesn't seem to list them.

Thanks
I'm not Rusty, but I can answer the question: Lee will make custom collet dies for $50 if you will send them three once-fired cases of the caliber you want. However, I was very disappointed to send them three cases of 7x33 Sako only to have them return them with a note that the cartridge is too short for them to make a collet die. I don't understand this, but it is what it is.

There are some calibers for which you can adapt their existing collet dies. As has been noted, many A.I. cartridges will size just fine using a standard collet die. This is not true of the K-Hornet, but I simply drilled out the collet with the proper size drill bit far enough to allow the fatter shoulder to go into the die without touching and it works like a charm. Similarly, Lee makes no collet die for the .222 Magnum, but using a collet die for the .223 with a washer of the right thickness dropped over the case to sit on top of the shellholder adapts this die to this cartridge. I also chopped the right amount of the base of the collet off of a .222 die to adapt it to size .221 Fireball cases.

If it shoots in a bolt action rifle, I use a collet die to load it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bfrshooter "The problem with the collet die is that you still need another size die. Brass not fired in the gun or brass that expands so it is too tight will still need another size die."

That not much of a "problem", it's true of ANY neck sizer.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote