New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Observations on IMR 800X
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In an incremental work up with a good case support barrel and 200 gr. bullets, Blue Dot is simply too bulky to compete with the above mentioned powders:

Blue Dot 200 gr. .658", WLP, 13.25 gr., 1.3", case full, powder fully compressed, Barsto barrel, ok, 49% overload

That doesn't mean that it would not be an excellent powder for those not pursuing the maximum velocity or minimum flash.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't anticipate this being a high traffic thread but I felt compelled to post an observation I made while handling IMR 800X for the first time.

After hearing the praises of IMR 800X in the 10mm, I purchased a container for expiramentation. I had heard that the powder was subject to inconsistent throws when used in a powder thrower so I closely monitered my loads. This powder simply does not work in my powder thrower! I had to weigh each load by hand in order to keep the variation down. As I was returning the unused powder to its factory container I noticed that it wouldn't even flow through the hopper without the hopper being connected to the thrower! The powder simply clogged up. I immediately tried the same action using Blue Dot, so as to check for static cling. The Blue Dot flowed cleanly. I'm not expecting to use up this powder any time soon 'cause hand weighing pistol powder just isn't worth it, especially when your loading for a semi-auto!

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
recoiljunky,
I can surely relate with your experiences with 800X, it just took me longer than most to figure out that it was the powder causing the inconsistency. The bad part for me is that I have quite a bit left from when I shot it in my Annie Oakley shotgun loads. Since then I've found that it shoots well in 38 Special, 9MM, 45 ACP, and 44 Magnum.
I had heard about someone grounding their powder measure so I tried it with my Dillon and it seemed to work wonders, at least well enouph that I condidered it acceptable. I've only loaded 800X once since I've grounded my press so I can't swear it's a cure all, but you might try it.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pushing 10mm and 200 gr bullets until the primer falls out [Good case suport is required to get there in an incremental work up.]:

1) 800X will give the highest velocity in 10mm, but the weighing the powder, and compressing the powder, and the adding more powder, all make it just for the record books or big game hunting.

2) Power Pistol is second in velocity, it is easy to meter, but gives a big flash.

3) Third is LONGSHOT, and it works well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ground your measure then check your technique. No offense but you have to sure to operate a measure in exactly the same manner from round to round. You must use exactly the same amount of force, bump the handle, top and bottom, exactly the same each and every time. I have used 800X for 18 years loading my 32 H&R's and the only time I weigh a charge is to set the measure and verify it, and these are small charges. 5.5gr for 85's, 5gr for 100's and 4.5gr for 115's. BOL.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk44,
I use 6.5 gr 800X, 1.29" OAL, for 85s in 32swLong [32H&R is 1.35"].

The only thing I have found that competes with that powder is 13 gr of LIL'GUN.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark: Where does Blue Dot fit in in terms of suitable 10mm powders?

Blackhawk44: I can appreciate the grounding suggestion. As I looked down the top of the hopper, I can see the powder clinging to the sides, not to the point of powder STICKING to the sides, more like a steep funnelling of the powder. I eliminated my technique from the test by removing the hopper from the thrower, resulting in a clogged hopper. No offense taken though.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote