New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 1895 Nagant revolver.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently started loading for the 1895 Nagant revolver. I am using Hotshot and Fiochi brass with Lee dies.

The Lee dies seem to be made for loading 32-20 brass for the Nagant revolver instead of properly expanding and crimping the brass for the gas seal when using Nagant brass. The Lee expander is too short to properly expand the brass, this results in a bulged case when seating the bullet that prevents most loaded rounds from chambering in the cylinder. The seating die does a poor job of crimping the mouth of the case so that it fits into the back of the barrel when the hammer is cocked. I think the factory brass is crimped with a collet to make the very narrow mouth.

I made a new expander to expand the brass enough to prevent bulging when the bullet is seated. It is about ¼ inch longer than the Lee expander and tapers from .305†to .310â€. I adjusted the seating die to crimp as much as possible without wrinkling the brass, but it still barely crimps enough to allow the cylinder to move forward when the hammer is cocked.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long is your brass? I bought Starline brass, Lee dies and I cast a 85 gr WC that is sized to .313. I also have some 32-20 brass that I use in it, but it had to have the rims thinned and turned down in dia to keep the cylinder from dragging. The Starline brass functions fine and I believe they purposely made it shorter to aleviate the crimp problem. It shoots fine and I don't worry about the seal of the brass to the forcing cone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photo and post.

I have to say that the few 1895 Nagants that I have are such poor designs compared to the earlier revolver, the 1873 Colt, that I am likely never shooting any of my Nagants again.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brass is about 1.5" long. I need to use this brass to achieve the seal becuase I am making a silencer for the pistol next year after the ATF approves my form 1. The crimp is not optional because the cylinder moves forward to push the brass mouth into the forcing cone and this will not happen unless I have a good crimp on it.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I have to say that the few 1895 Nagants that I have are such poor designs compared to the earlier revolver, the 1873 Colt, that I am likely never shooting any of my Nagants again.

I agree that the Nagant is not a good design, but it is interesting, and cheap. I might try to get the trigger worked on as it is the one thing that most detracts from the shooting experience.

The tax I am paying to make the silencer is more than the cost of buying the pistol and making the silencer.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you unscrew the barrel from a good revolver and make your own barrel, the breech can be left long, and screwed in for each shot. The breech then seals on the cylinder.

Consider the silencer for that.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Starline brass is about .060" shorter, but this is all moot now after your explanation about using a silencer. Now if I were trying to solve this problem I would make a crimp die(s) to form the same crimp dimensions as rthe Fiocchi ammo has, problably a two or three step process, looks like some more experimentation is called for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how a collet crimp die works?

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I found the solution, use a Lee 30 carbine factory crimp die.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Lee 30 carbine factory crimp die. I use a couple of washers on the shell holder to make up for the longer length of the nagant brass. This crimp die works very well and has totally eliminated any problems with the case mouth entering the forcing cone. I recommend it for anyone who reloads using the original Nagant brass.

Ranb