New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 inch barrel in a 270 win
 Login/Join

<rock42>
posted
I'm going to get a rifle for my girlfriend to hunt with. I think I'm gonna get her a ruger ultralight all weather in 270 win caliber. I handload so the loads shot will be somewhat reduced to reduce recoil.

I was just wondering how much of a handicap a 20 inch barrel is in a 270 about how many fps less could I expect.

the other rifles I was considering was a remington model 7 in 7mm-08 and a browning a bolt stainless stalker in either 270 or 25-06.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
On an average, around 25 fps per inch

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I used a 270 Win in a Heym for years that had a 21" barrel. I loaded the 130 grain bullets in front of 53 gr of IMR4350. That's a modest load and I never chronographed them, BUT deer fell over dead when those bullets hit. Recoil is very light. Go for the 20" barrel and don't look back!
Good Hunting!

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20" 270 Mark X with a Manlicher stock, I only shoot Federal Premium 130gr's in it, they chrono at 2900fps, and it kills deer very well.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a peck of .270s over the years and loaded for all of them. The 20" barrel will lose about 75 fps over the 22" and about 150 fps over the 24".

Of course the .270 will kill a deer very well at 2900-3000 fps with a 130 grain bullet, albeit with a shorter effective range. But I think the muzzle blast will start to get obnoxious in a 20" barrel. I had a Ruger Ultralight in .270 and besides being erratic and inaccurate, it too much blast and kick for a .270.

A 22" barrel will be much better. If you want a short 20" gun, a .260 Rem or 7mm-08 firing 140 grain bullets at 2700-2800 fps uses less powder and would be more pleasant.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 20" is loud, but I get zero flash from the federal ammo, and 3 shot groups go in .7" at 100yds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Rock:

I had a 270 Ruger full stock with a 20-inch barrel. Having it Rebarreled in 6.5x55 was one of the best moves I ever made, I�ll explain why:

I seldom shoot beyond 200; therefore I do not need a very flat cartridge.

I would rather have high SD than high velocity

I do not want blast, flashes or recoil

Sure the 270 will be an adequate rifle but it would not be my choice for a lady shooter. I would take a closer look at that 7 08.

I do not know too much about PA but I thought the terrain and cover in the north east was more suitable for what we in the UK call woodland deer stalking, rather than the longer range shooting of the west? Do you really need the velocity of a 270?

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7x57 with a 19.5", and it's pretty mild.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Rock, I agree with a previous post that a 7mm-08 would be better than a 270. 270's can be rather hot and I really wonder if your lady is going to appreciate all the recoil, noise and fireworks that cannon will generate. A 7mm-08 REM or a 260 REM would be a better choice ....remember, 80% of all whitetail deer are shot under 100 yards. The 7mm-08 is plenty flat shooting with a 140 grainer out to 250 yards and beyond. Ditto to the 125 grainer from a 260. If you don't care for the Remington line up of short action rifles, take a look at the Winchester 70 Compact. It has a shortened length of pull so it is better suited to smaller framed individuals. The downside is that it isn't stainless steel but that shouldn't be a show stopper for you. If you have deeper pockets, take a look at the new Sako Model 75 Finnlight. A 7mm-08 goes 6 pounds. Sako is the BMW of rifles.

<rock42>
posted
the 270 would be loaded down to a 7mm-08 level for her to practice with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifle is a 22" .270....I don't think you'll lose anything important by going with a 20" barrel. Use a starting load at 2500-2600 and the deer will never know the difference.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a VZ24 action made into a .270 with a 20" barrel. I got the barrel for $50 so what the heck. I ended up with a 2.5" muzzle brake on it. I load it with 130gr. Sierra spitzers and IMR 4350. My wife has taken 3 deer with that one. It's a quick handle light recoil rifle. When in the woods at 150 yards or less you will never notice the difference in velocity.

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed over the years that the 270 handles short barrels about as well as any caliber on the market, why this is I do not know but I have chronographed a lot of them, and some shot right up there with the 22" barrels, in fact most of them did....Many without any loss.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
270's a great cartridge,I've owned 4 of them.But..if I were wanting a short barreled rifle I would go with a short cartridge like the 260 Rem or 7-08.Why blow unburned powder out the end of the barrel?A lightweight 270 will have considerable recoil also.Try a Model Seven in 260 or 7-08, I think you'll like it.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
7-08 or 260 they are just more efficient in shorter barrels.