New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Casemaster?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone using one of these? I was thinking of purchasing one, mainly for checking bullet runout and case expansion.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yukoner:
Anyone using one of these? I was thinking of purchasing one, mainly for checking bullet runout and case expansion.

Daryl

I have one and use it for case runout and bullet seating runout.....I also have a older design Sinclair of similar type and use it also....the RCBS does well for the runout..the case neck and body wall thickness isn't as smooth as some but with pratice and cleaned cases it works for that also...case expansion will require a micrometer for lateral expansion and a stoney point or similar tool or a RCBS precision Mic for the length expansion measurement.....for accurate measurements the cases need to be cleaned and wiped down and the VEE blocks/cartridge rest need to be wiped down and kept clean to avoid jumps in the dial while measuring the runout....it helps in detailing accurate brass and checking the accuracy and fuction of your press/dies and seating procedure.....HTH..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
The case master RCBS makes works great and does a number of jobs which can help your reloading improve. There are more expensive ones out there but most of them can only do one or two jobs. It is worth the money! Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS tool is not bad. It will basically do the job. As others have said, it's not real smooth. Also, most of the other things it will sorta measure, (besides concentricity), are more precisely measured with other tools. It is less expensive than the others which is good if you are working on a tight budget. That being said, the one I would recommend is the NECO tool. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Yukoner,
I use my casemaster a bunch. The only dissatisfaction I had with it was having to switch back and forth to make different measurements. I called RCBS and found they do sell the gauge seperately, so I ordered one. Now It's ready to make measurement on a single case without having to make changes. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Works great, does many thing very well.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yukoner:

Daryl

Mine works just fine for bullet and case neck runout. It *will* work for checking case neck concentricity but it is not the best thing around for that. Too much variability in measurements as the case is not supported very well during the measuring operation and IMHO it relies too much on the operator's technique. I purchased a Sinclair case neck concentricity gauge and it is (pardon the pun) head and shoulder above the Casemaster for that one specific purpose.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote