New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 Western Whitetail Load?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a Ruger Mark I 25-06 last fall for deer hunting PA an Northern NY, generally under 150 yards. It was too soon before the season, so just went with factory loads. This fall I'll be taking it to Eastern Montana for Whitetails (or Mulies?). The guys I'm going with recommend a 300 yd zero and I will be practicing lots. Most likely I'll be using a 200 yard zero. Anything over 300 can keep walking, not comfortable shooting that far at deer, I'm used to the woods. Wondering what people would suggest for a bullet/powder combo.

Would like to stay away from the Ballistic Tips and hollow points, call it irrational fear but not comfortable with them on deer. I prefer Barnes, Hornady, etc. but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd start with 115 Nosler Partitions and IMR 4350.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i have been using 100 nosler bt and imr 4831 wlr primers for quite a few years and the bt perform great on white tail out to 200yds. very little meat damage.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Bullet: Sierra 120 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
Powder: 52.5 grains of H-4831
Primer: Winchester Large Rifle
Case: Remington
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Velocity: 2,922 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

5-shots, 200-yards

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

i have been using 100 nosler bt and imr 4831 wlr primers for quite a few years and the bt perform great on white tail out to 200yds. very little meat damage.

I loaded that exact combo last night, in a variety of test powder charges. What charge gave best accuracy for you?

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have been using 51grs imr4831 3300f/s
also 51 grs imr 4350, 3380f/s, rem 91/2 primers also 1/2" groups at 100yds.
model 70 24" barrel
I have a parker hale that likes the lighter stuff 75gr and 87gr

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from New Mexico last night from a successfull antelope hunt. I shot my buck with my favorite 25-06 load.

I used a 100 grain Nosler Partition over 54 grains of IMR 4831 sparked by a WLR primer. This load gives about 3400 fps in my rifle and shoots very flat. It gave complete penetration on the antelope.

Now I know a big mule deer will be heavier than an antelope, but I have also shot a number of wild hogs with this load and it works just great. In fact my dad and I have shot a BUNCH of wild hogs with this load and have never had any complaints.

I would recommend sighting in for 250 yards as I did for my antelope hunt.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
101 groove bullet with 57 gr of RL22 or so. Shoots flat as hell at 3400 fps and the bullet is up to just about anything. www.groovebullets.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite all-around .25-06 handload is the 115 gr. Nosler partition, Rem. brass, Fed. 215 primer, and 54.5/IMR-7828. This is a maximum load, so work up to it. My rifle is a Rem. 700 Classic, and it has also worked well in 3 other Rem. 700s owned by friends. It has cleanly killed over a dozen antelope, several mule deer, 2 elk, and a few coyotes. I feel it is too light generally for elk, but both were 1-shot kills, within 150 yards. I sight in 3" high at 100 yards and hold in the center of the chest out to about 350 yards. (Read the old books by Bob Hagel.) I have killed several antelope in the 350-400 yard range.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Nice group Steve.

I called Sierra about using that bullet in my 257 AI for hunting and mentioned that Im getting 3100 fs from a 115 gn bullet. The guy I talked to reccomended against it because he said it was designed for the 257 Wby. Apparently that particular representative considers it a VERY tough bullet or didnt believe me about my current load.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know they are considered a little out of style these days but I have had excellent results on 11 whitetails with
the Sierra 100 Spitzer over 52 grains of IMR4350. Mild pressure, shoots flat, very accurate. Complete penetration
on all except 1 shot head on in the chest. Average range is about 200 yards. The max range was 310 and the shortest was
80 yards. The wounds look like the jacket must be pretty tough because the expansion appears to be very controlled.
Ed

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
90 grain Barnes X-BT with IMR 4831. I use a Winchester mag primer. I have used this load and it kills like lighting. I have never recovered a bullet from a whitetail with it yet. Work up the loads to your gun max level for speed and accuracy. I have has great success with this bullet. The heavier Barnes have not worked as well. The Nosler partition is my second choice.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote