THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Molybullets for a slow caliber.. is anything gained ??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Molybullets for a slow caliber.. is anything gained ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The caliber i s 9,3x74R the bullets 320grs or 286 grs. V0 for the 320 is around 2090-2100 FPS.
V0 for the 286 is around 2230.
It is quite a hassle to molycoat the bullets, so my question is. : "do I gain anything, by moly coating them"?

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Niels, I've not tried Moly in any caliber with a Velocity that low - yet.

Traded into a 444Mar last year and I believe it has similar Velocities. Normally I would toss the 240gr, 270gr and 300gr "jacketed" bullets in the tumbler with some Moly and not give it a second thought.

"BUT", I also plan to shoot some Lead Gas Checked bullets in this rifle and don't want to add Moly to them. So, I'll probably not use Moly in this rifle at all.

That said, if you plan to use only jacketed bullets, if your Barrel tends to foul easily, or you are wanting to reduce the Pressure a bit, then I'd say try the Moly.

If at some point you decide Moly is of no help, just quit coating the bullets and go back to shooting them clean.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My shooting partner Moly-coated some 45/70 bullets just for fun to see what would happen.
It took his 3" groups down to 1.25" in a Ruger No.1 using the exact same load. [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote