New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to metallic handloading...need advice
 Login/Join

<BusPilot>
posted
Gents, I'm new to this site and would like to introduce myself. Hello to all. I've been a shotgunner for years and have reloaded on a MEC. My boy wants to start deer hunting with me now (12). Planning on getting a .260 Rem in Rem or Browning. Want to handload as a hobby. I know this is old stuff to you experienced guys. Questions:
RCBS Master Reloading Kit or...
Press: Redding Single stage or their Turret?
Dies: Redding or RCBS?
Powder measure: Redding 3BR or Uniflow (RCBS)
Scale: (already have a O'Haus 1010 gr. It's
just like the RCBS 1010 gr scale)
Tumbler: Don't have a clue. (Cabellas has a
sale as does Midway).
I shoot .44mag Marlin 1894 and want a longer
range more versatile rifle (.260 Rem,
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, 7mm-.08, 7mm
Mauser)
Don't mean to be long-winded, but I am ready to get the handloading set-up for my boy (o.k. for us!) for Christmas. Can't wait to get started. Would appreciate prompt response as Santa needs to know soon!) Thanks!

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
Start with the RCBS master kit and go from there- you won't be sorry. Everybody needs at least one Rockchucker!

CAL

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
Get two or three reloading manuals made by the powder and bullet makers you decide to use. Study them!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BusPilot:
Gents, I'm new to this site and would like to introduce myself. Hello to all. I've been a shotgunner for years and have reloaded on a MEC. My boy wants to start deer hunting with me now (12). Planning on getting a .260 Rem in Rem or Browning. Want to handload as a hobby. I know this is old stuff to you experienced guys. Questions:
RCBS Master Reloading Kit or...
Press: Redding Single stage or their Turret?
Dies: Redding or RCBS?
Powder measure: Redding 3BR or Uniflow (RCBS)
Scale: (already have a O'Haus 1010 gr. It's
just like the RCBS 1010 gr scale)
Tumbler: Don't have a clue. (Cabellas has a
sale as does Midway).
I shoot .44mag Marlin 1894 and want a longer
range more versatile rifle (.260 Rem,
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, 7mm-.08, 7mm
Mauser)
Don't mean to be long-winded, but I am ready to get the handloading set-up for my boy (o.k. for us!) for Christmas. Can't wait to get started. Would appreciate prompt response as Santa needs to know soon!) Thanks!

Welcome!!!As the other post states get a couple of manuals and either of the SINGLE STAGE presses you mention are good/great...I have 2 RCBS presses and 20 boxes of dies and equipment by RCBS they are great people to deal with....that said Redding is great quality and cost more money and it slightly more refined than the RCBS press and dies....I haven't dealt with them as I have RCBS...I do have some of their new dies and the big Ultra Mag is a Rolls Royce type press.....but for most people the RCBS is a lifetime investment...the scale you have is great...RCBS outsources some of their scale needs as do other companies....the powder measures are also just about equal...I have 2 RCBS measures...one large drum/one small....with baffles and micrometer adjustment....the Redding is supposed to be slightly better in the standard measure....with the add on's/extras my small drum/micrometer adjustment measure is about equal..I would go with which comes with your kit or you find the best price...figure the micrometer extra for the RCBS....buy quality as the equipment will last ....a LONG time with a little care....also get a good dial caliper if you don't already have one...they are needed and used alot....come to board for any problems....as to turret version of press they are more for pistol/volume than most rifle loading...they will work...I have a turret old Lyman and prefer the feel of a single stage for my rifle loading.....good luck and good shooting/loading.....!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't expect any of this is in time for Christmas, but it may be helpful.

I like my RCBS case trimmer a lot. I bought the kit with all the pilots. Operation is simple, and spring tension holds the case head firmly against a flat surface so that you get very consistent lengths. I previously bought a Forster case trimmer, which I hate. It is hard to tell when the case head is all the way back in the collet (sometimes, the case pops out as you tighten the collet), and tightening and loosening that collet wears my hands out.

I don't like my RCBS UniFlow measure a bit. It works with Winchester ball powders, and that's all. It doesn't deliver 4064, 3031, or Red Dot worth beans.

I'll be watching this post to see if anyone has good experience with extruded or flake powders using a powder measure.

I use the measure on my Dillon RL-550B for high-volume rifle reloading, but mostly, I weigh out the powder on my Pact Digital Precision powder scale.

One tip on using an electronic scale: they're very sensitive to changes in the level-ness of the surface they sit on. I was driving me crazy watching my scale jump half a grain as I leaned forward to pick up the pan off the scale until I realized that I was flexing the wood floor my reloading bench sits on whenever I leaned forward or back. That was tipping the bench top slightly, causing the reading to change. I moved the bench to a sturdier section of the floor, and the problem went away.

Good luck.

H.C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Hellrazor>
posted
If you want an RCBS master reloading kit, www.natchezss.com has them for $220 onsale till the end of the month.

<Mark Mcdeavitt>
posted
For the price, try the lee anniversary kit.
midway has a great price on them right now.