New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me please! Just started
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys. I am new here and this site is absolutely amazing. Its a huge hunting database. Ok on to my question,

For Christmas I got a LEE aniversary loading kit. I want to reload my .257 roberts shells so today I went down and bought all of the stuff.. Primers, powder, bullets and even a few brass. I am just having a lot of trouble with the steps. I read the instructions and it seems to skip parts. I got it primed and measured out the correct powder than the bullet was too snug to fit into the brass. I have a die set and press but dont know when to put the bullet in or exactly what tool to use. I thought you guys could help me.

1.What are the steps

2. What tool do i use to get the bullet head into the brass (do i need to size it first?)

Thanks guys, Max

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First make sure you have followed the directions. Sometimes a small, light chamfer is needed inside the case mouth to clear burrs. This is a one time thing with new brass.
With the right inside expander button the bulley will have to be forced into the case. This is required tohold the bullet in place.
One thing Iwould do is to buy a can of Imperial Die Wax. There is no sense in screwing around with anything else. Put a litle Imperial on a Q-tip and lube the inside of the case at the neck shoulder junction. A little is all that is required.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my post I spelled bullet as bulley, sorry bout that.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing is be patient and read as much as you can before you actually start the process. When I first started, I probably loaded 15 - 20 dummy rounds without primers or powder. That was just to build my confidence that my bullts would work and to test for proper lengths. They will work with a little practice, all my kills and paper punching was done with reloads this year.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the AR search function for this forum. Many experienced guys have posted very detailed step-by-step instructions on how to handload a metallic cartridge. Find it then follow the steps. Or buy a better book than Lee.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max M.:
Hey guys. I am new here and this site is absolutely amazing. Its a huge hunting database. Ok on to my question,

For Christmas I got a LEE aniversary loading kit. I want to reload my .257 roberts shells so today I went down and bought all of the stuff.. Primers, powder, bullets and even a few brass. I am just having a lot of trouble with the steps. I read the instructions and it seems to skip parts. I got it primed and measured out the correct powder than the bullet was too snug to fit into the brass. I have a die set and press but dont know when to put the bullet in or exactly what tool to use. I thought you guys could help me.

1.What are the steps

2. What tool do i use to get the bullet head into the brass (do i need to size it first?)

Thanks guys, Max

Hey MAX! Do you have a reloading manual? If so, it tells you exactly what to do.

If you don't have one, buy at least one! I recommend the Lyman Handbook for the beginner.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Try downloading the reloading guides(2) from this site http://www.alliantpowder.com/
You`ll find some helpful info there.
The others are steering you right, read and make sure you understand the steps and what you`re doing before loading with powder and primer.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better yet, inquire within your community as to whether there is anybody else who reloads. Ask them if they wouldn't mind if you came to a session to watch and ask questions. Sometimes watching it done and asking questions about the steps helps to learn a whole lot better than reading a book. Although reloading is very safe if done properly, its nothing to fool around with!!!!!!