Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Swede vs 260 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
What are the ballistic differences between these two? I talking about handloaded ammo in new modern guns. (ie CZ etc). I do not care about factory loads at all. I have a feeling that the Swede can do better but all the handload data I have seen on it maxed out at 44K cup (for the older military stuff I guess).

Also if anyone has a CZ in the 6.5 Swede...How do you like it? How does it shoot?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I feel they`re both the same as far as performance. The Swede holds a couple of grains more powder but it only gets about 50-75fps more vel with 140s and lighter in my rifle. The extreem spreads have the velocities overlapping on some loads/powders. This is with loads I feel are max in my rifles. I don`t have pressure measuring equipment so how they stand as far as equal pressure loadings I`m not sure. I am sure though that what one will do the other will copy on game.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Personal opinion . . .
The 260 has an edge just because of the case head diameter which it shares with 30-06, 7X57, 308 and a bunch more.
Swede is a Fine cartridge though! [Smile]

LouisB

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
The 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser cartridge is 108 years old and counting--yes, already a vetran when the 30-06 was still "wet behind the ears." [Smile]

Savage has discontinued the production of rifles in .260, an indication of slow sales.

I agree the two cartridges you ask about are pretty equal in handloads. With the heavier bullets (160's) you may find that the 6.5 x 55 has a more notable edge, much like the 30-06 has over the .308 with 180's and up.

I'd go with the Swede...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the .260 Remington(6.5-08)but I don't think it can perform quite as well as a 6.5x55, although for some uses the shorter action length might be preferable.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Pop,

I am with Dan N. on this one: for hunting go with the 6.5X55 over the .260 Rem.

I started my 6.5 career with a Swedish M94 6.5X55, and shot my first deer with it. Now a days my Western deer rifle is a 6.5-'06.

The standard twist for the 6.5X55 is one turn in 7.87" (200 mm), while the .260 Rem is one turn in 9" (as my 6.5-'06 is also). You can indeed use heavier bullets in the 6.5. The .260 Rem made its reputation as the wildcat 6.5-08 as a target cartridge where the slower twist was fine.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
about the same thing as trying to tell the diff in a 300 savage and a 308 winchester...

it's whatever you want, they are twins.... one might be redheaded and the other blonde, but a good pick either way....

(i'll be taking the redhead, of course)
jeffe

Posts: 39562 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
The standard twist for the 6.5X55 is one turn in 7.87" (200 mm), while the .260 Rem is one turn in 9" (as my 6.5-'06 is also). You can indeed use heavier bullets in the 6.5. The .260 Rem made its reputation as the wildcat 6.5-08 as a target cartridge where the slower twist was fine.

Are there bullets heavier than 160 grains for the 6.5mm? I know that theoretically the 1:9 twist isn't supposed to stabilize the 160s, but at least one gun writer and I have found that the Model Seven does indeed stabilize them. My handload in the .260 of Hornady 160-grain RNs at 2350 fps out of the Model Seven's short barrel is accurate and duplicates the performance of the classic 6.5x54 M-S carbine.

If one wants to hot-rod the 6.5mm, then the Swede has more case capacity for that purpose, but for standard velocity loads, I don't think there's much practical difference between the two cartridges on game, and the .260 has the capability of fitting in a short action and of a standard case head dimension that permits switching calibers with ease within the .308-based family of cartridges.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are close to equal in load books and factory ammo, but the Swede has surperior potential for handloaders.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote