New
Find
Notify
Tools

military crimp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to remove the military primer crimp on my brass. Is a primer pocket "uniformer" and "reamer" the same tool? Will these be good enough to remove the crimp?

Posts: 63 | Location: NM | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The reamer is what you want to use. Just give a turn or two and twist a tiny bevel on the lip of the primer pocket.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The "uniformer" is used to square out the bottom corners, and to make the primer pockets all the same depth.

You can remove the crimp with a deburring tool, a "crimp cutter" or a primer pocket swedging tool

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ever plan to remove the crimp from “thousands†of military cartridges, I can recommend the Dillon Super Swage 600. I have one, just used it on about 1000 .223 cases this week, have used it on 5 gallon bullets of 308 brass. I have not found anything faster or easier to use.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=15&min=0&dyn=1&

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slamfire said it all. If you only got a few you can make do with a deburrer, but if you have lots and are shooting military cases, invest in one of those Dillon gizmos. they are tops. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I use the Forster crimp remover bit ( it's designed to work with their trimmer , but I chuck it in a drill ) . You may also be able to find something at your local hardware store.

All you have to do is bevel the edge of the pocket and remove the crimp so you can get another primer in the pocket.
Don't go wild and cut a bunch of brass out of the case head , just a bevel is enough.

Power makes this job alot more tolerable , just thinking about a bucket of brass and a hand turned deburring tool causes me pain.

Travis F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Travis:

How about trimming a bucket full of brass to length on one of those hand crankers??

That's why I went to Lee's pins/gage sets. Chuck the pin/cutter in a small drill press. made up a handle for the shell holder and have trimmed one step on more than 400 cases per hour.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote