New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMI 5.56 Tips at Sarco $49.95/2000
 Login/Join

<El Viejo>
posted
I saw that Sarco has IMI 5.56 55gr fmbjt wc at $49.95 for 2M. I have bought these tips from Widners in bulk pack, but they were twice as expensive. Does anyone know if these are seconds? Has any one on the board shot them before?

The tips I bought from Widners are fine for plinking and trigger time, but they tend to have a plus or minus 1.3 grain weight around 55gr, a little slopy for matches. I am going to try some Sierra 69gr match for my 1 in 9 rifle.

Any comments?

one of us
posted Hide Post
".... bought these tips from Widners"

"Tips" are for waiters. You mean bullets??

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
El Viejo,
Scot is correct, albeit somewhat blunt.
"Bullet" is the portion of the "cartridge" that is pushed out the end of the barrel by the burning powder. The complete unit is a "round" or a "cartridge" not a bullet. Although I believe were all guilty of referring to a box of "cartridges" as a box of "bullets".

As to Sarco, I've had some dealings with them in the past. I can't say they were as good as some but they are far from the worst folks out there. I do my best not to spend my money with them these days however, they do have a good deal from time to time. So, what I'm saying is to expect slow service and a poor attitude. Seemed to me that if you weren't buying several hundreds to thousands of dollars in goods from them you weren�t a customer, but more a bother!

Just my 2 cents worth,

------------------
Abe

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any differently!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was to blunt. My apoligies. It was not fair to slam you while you were trying to do a nice thing.

I do hear that term used here and there. Even see ads from a company using that incorrect term. I would never do business with them because they don't know their business.

http://www.nraila.org/FirearmsGlossary.asp

This link is a more constructive post. Check it out. These are the correct terms.

Good shooting,

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Sorry bout that, the guy that taught me to reload called them that. We are kinda inbreed down here. Like the old chief petty officer said to the recruit: "you remember those terms or I'll throw you out that little round window"

Seriously, has anybody shot these bullets?

------------------
Never teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and annoys the pig

<TomJ>
posted
E.V.,
I don't know specifically about that deal, but I wouldn't ever consider FMJs for match bullets. I consider all FMJs to be "seconds". You'd be much better off buying some bulk Rem or Win soft or hollow points. It's not the weight that screws em up, it's the bases and the generally sloppy jacket tolerances that make them inaccurate.
I'd buy them just to blast with. At that price you can't really go wrong.

<El Viejo>
posted
I was going to buy some Sierra 69 gr match for some serious shooting, but would like to put a lot of lead down range for some fun/practice.

You said Remmington or Winchester. Widners has 55gr fmjbt for $40/m, are these the ones you are thinking of?

------------------

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
If you will be happy with 3" groups at 100 yards, buy the 55 gr fmjbt. I know win. doesn"t mark theres as seconds, when they are seconds. The base of the bullet is the most important thing. A base with the lead exposed is not a match bullet or a very accurate one.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Thank you for the reply.
If I buy the HP, is the base encased in metal?

------------------

<Abe Normal>
posted
Yes, more than likely. Most (if not all, now that I think of it) HP's I've come across the base of the bullet is encased in the copper jacket material.

------------------
Abe

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any differently!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I consider all FMJs to be "seconds".

I used to shoot 180 grain FMJs in my 10" Dan Wesson .357. If I did my part, they would hold a four inch group at 200 meters. Not bad seconds. I use Hornady bulk FMJs in my ArmaLite. They're good for sub MOA. Not bad in a service grade, but the SMKs are a little more accurate.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 04-13-2002).]