New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help- Stuck cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need some advice-- I was resizing brass tonight- once fired Nosler custom brass (.22-250 Rem) and I got a case stuck in a Hornady New Generation full length sizing die. I use Hornady One-Shot case lube. I had a second set of .22-250 dies (RCBS) so I switched to those and after 3 pieces of brass I got another case stuck. Any thoughts as to what is going on?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwoodie:
I need some advice-- I was resizing brass tonight- once fired Nosler custom brass (.22-250 Rem) and I got a case stuck in a Hornady New Generation full length sizing die. I use Hornady One-Shot case lube. I had a second set of .22-250 dies (RCBS) so I switched to those and after 3 pieces of brass I got another case stuck. Any thoughts as to what is going on?
Thanks in advance.

Not enough lube I suspect.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only times I have gotten a case stuck with One Shot is when I didn't wait the recomended time for the lube to dry.

Posts: 1 | Location: UTAH | Registered: 16 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hornady One-Shot case lube

The Hornady seems to be a recurring offender here.
You might like Imperial better.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I will try Imperial wax.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely one did not use enough lube and did not leave it dry long enough. I used a lot of one shot in the past and like it a lot.

I use midway spray lube in a pump bottle now mainly because the one shot cans would gum up on me and I had to throw away to many of half full cans. Even with the midway lube one needs to let them dry fully.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancing""BARDAHL"" claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use Hornady One-Shot case lube.

Stop using One-Sh?t. It's garbage. It stuck the first, last and only case on which I ever used it. I find Walmart unflavored cooking spray to be very good. Less than two bucks a can. Doesn't take much, either. Just a light spray on your cases as they lay in a shoebox or something similar, roll 'em around in it a bit, then resize them. You just have to wash it off in hot, sudsy (Dawn dishwashin' liquid) water pretty soon after you get done resizing. It's vegetable oil and will get sticky if it dries too long. You have a good bit of time to work with it; no need to race to the kitchen sink as soon as the last shell comes out of the press. I spin, tumble and swirl my cases around with old rags in a three-gallon tub, let 'em soak maybe half an hour (gets some of the carbon out) then rinse the dogsqueeze out of 'em. Best to resize and decap first-- makes 'em drain easier. How you then dry them is up to you. I fry them on a LOW flame in a thin-bottom, stainless skillet and keep moving them around until the poppin' and spittin' stops. Takes just a few minutes. I also have a big, screen collander that I just now thought would be a good way to dry them over a flame. Don't get them so hot you can't hold them in your fingers. Too hot can bugger-up the anneal and the head will get too soft. I have also used a food dehydrator and let 'em set for several hours while I did other things. You can also let 'em dry overnight. Gotta check for dryness if you go that route. They may not be totally dry...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cases stick for one reason ONLY: a lack of case lube on the lower portion, near the head. Lube may be of poor quality or insufficent coverage, usually the latter.

"Best" type of case lube depends a lot on the volume being loaded. Spray lubes are good for large quanities - IF you get the lower part covered, and if you keep it shaken as you work, and if you allow the carrier to dry but it seems expensive to me. Small quanities, a box or three of rifle ammo for instance, other lubes seem much more practical.

Many of us like the soft waxey case lubes such as Redding's Imperial and Hornady's Unique. It's clean stuff, wipes off cases and finger with a paper towel, easy to apply as you pick each case up. Lee's case lube, the white stuff in a short toothpaste tube, is good stuff too.

I used the conventional oily, greasy lubes on pads for a few years. Then I got smarter, haven't touched any of that messy, hard to remove stuff in more than 30 years.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many of us like the soft, waxy case lubes such as Redding's Imperial and Hornady's Unique. It's clean stuff, wipes off cases and finger with a paper towel, easy to apply as you pick each case up. Lee's case lube, the white stuff in a short toothpaste tube, is good stuff too.

I find the Lee stuff goes too fast. The waxy Hornady stuff is the best of the "smear on" lubes. It's cheaper than Imperial. I like Imperial for sizing big cases. Hornady works well for small cases. For mass lubing, nothin' beats cooking spray. Just don't spray too much and let the carrier dry a bit before rammin' them through your dies...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stop using One-Sh?t. It's garbage. It stuck the first, last and only case on which I ever used it.

+1

One Shot must have changed its formulation in the last 10 years. I used to think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, I stuck several cases a while back.

Another board member turned me on to Dillon's spray-on lube and I find that to be really good. Homebrewer's use of cooking spray sounds like a good solution also.

Based on my own experience, I highly recommend the Dillon spray on lube.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Homebrewer's use of cooking spray sounds like a good solution, also.

The only thing you really have to do is just wash it off soon after you get done resizing your cases. Dishwashin' liquid and hot water gets it right off. It has no petroleum smell to it. It's cheap-- less than $2 in my market for an eight-ounce can. It's available at any Walmart Supercenter twenty-four hours a day. Just spray on lightly, swirl your cases around in it on a flat surface (I use the broiler pan from my stove for about 150 cases at a time), let any bubbles pop away and you are good to go. For fewer cases, I use the plastic trays you get in microwave meals. I also use these to organize my brass as to what's sized, which is Winchester, which is Remington, et cetera. I use the cut off bottoms of two-liter soda bottles as a tray to keep bullets handy when reloading for 223Rem or for pistol calibers. The curved-up sides makes getting them out really easy...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Willi:
The only times I have gotten a case stuck with One Shot is when I didn't wait the recomended time for the lube to dry.

X-2 dancing

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer,
I like your idea. I use Dillon spray lube and run them through a tumbler full of corn cob before priming. Have you tried the tumbler instead of a bath?

Posts: 7 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy Imperial Die Wax, throw everything away,
never look back.
God Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote