Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua Rifle Brass I hope I didn't order wrong
 Login/Join

posted
I have just purchased another .308 win rifle. I have always used Winchester brass in all my rifles. However I didn't want to get the brass mixed up between my two .308's. So I was reading (but not real close) that Lapua made very good brass but it was expensive. So I decided to spend a little extra and ordered some from Cabelas.

So I opened the box it came in and thought the flash hole looked small (very used to reloading magnum calibers not .308's) so I compared it to the Winchester brass visually and the flash holes look the same size.

The casing does not say Palma on them which I don't want Palma brass as these loads are intended to be used in cold weather hunting rifles. So I'm assuming I did not receive Palma?

I closely follow the manuals in reloading grains of powders and follow the rules for safety and chronograph all my loads which also helps with finding max loads.

Can someone help confirm that I do have the correct brass (not palma)?
When using Lapua brass (non palma) does this brass use very similar grains of powder as Winchester and other standard brass?

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thanks,
Adams

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Adams,

Welcome to the forum.

Brass capacity varies, but for all intents and purposes, you can use loading data published for that cartridge without any problems.

Just make sure you start with starting loads, and work up.

I have no idea what you are talking about Palma brass made for cold weather??!!

First that I have heard this.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From my understanding the Lapua palma casing has a smaller flash hole and may even use a different primer not sure about that. The Lapua palma brass is used by match shooters and for some reason I read that they don't use in temperatures below 40 degrees. They made it sound like a safety problem. Sounds like they are able to load hotter loads with the palma, so maybe that's the reason. Not sure if I'm even correct about this. I just want to confirm I don't have the palma brass. I don't think I do because from my understanding it says the word palma on the brass. Mine doesn't say that. But I'm hoping someone can confirm this for me.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The 308Win Lapua Palma brass uses a small rifle primer and smaller flash hole. Apparently this combination provides better consistency of ignition thus better accuracy.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
The 308Win Lapua Palma brass uses a small rifle primer and smaller flash hole. Apparently this combination provides better consistency of ignition thus better accuracy.

Thank you.

One learns something every day!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I found my answers. Eagle is correct. Lapua Palma brass uses a small rifle primer and smaller flash hole. The reason it is not used at temperatures below 40 degrees is because the small riffle primer may not provide enough ignition causing a hang fire. They are also able to load these loads hotter.

If the casing is a Palma it is stamped on the head of casing.

So I do have the correct brass as mine are stamped only .308 Winchester Lapua. I appreciate the feedback. Just thought I would share this information in case anyone was interested.

Thanks
Adams