New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know where to find .277 FMJ ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If any of you out there, has come upon a .277 FMJ bullet that is not a Barnes solid I would sure like to hear from you.
Sako sells an FMJ factory cartridge in .270W called "Speedhead" , But the buggers won't tell me where they get the bullets.
It is to be used for birdshooting (Black game) so it has to be a real military style FMJ.

I'll do allmost anything for the guy who can help.

K&B
Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Think Hornady made some years ago in round nose. Still have a few 220gr. round nose in both soft nose and full patch in .308.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Load the Hornady 150 round nose backwards and seat it out as far as you can. Start with IMR 3031 at 39 grains and work up. My rifle likes 41 grains and is very accurate showing no pressure signs. Penetration is terrific. I expect velocity is around 2500 fps.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To: Rikt300

Seat a bullet backwards... Hmm that i would never have thought of. Very original and a definete "must try sometime". It'd work good on a fox i'd think. [Smile]
It does not solve the problem though. Shooting black game during vinter requires long range precision (target as big as a womans fist)(up to 300m, very seldom longer)
So the bullet I am looking for has to be military style FMJ spirepointed.

Good trick though.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't read all of your first post. I don't reccomend shooting birds with a fmj at all. Too much danger of bouncing bullets miles away. The load I put together is for finishing wounded deer and elk with minimum damage. I kill excess crows and blackbirds by scattering corn and milo within shotgun range of a blind.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote