Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Jr. Press
 Login/Join

posted
I've been looking for a single stage press to compliment my 550, and I've got a guy that is offering to sell me his RCBS Jr. Press for $30. He bought it late 70's, the owners manual is dated 1979, the press has never been used, it was bought, and then stored in an attic, and its in like new condition. Should I take it? I can't seem to find much information on them. Do they take standard shell holders? I'm relativly new to reloading, and don't know whats changed in the last 25 years. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,

Jeff

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Jump on it. I`ve used a JR bought by my father back in the early / mid `60s and it`s still makeing excellent ammo. The window is a bit smaller then the Rock Chucker but it will load all but the largest cases. The press takes regular shell holders and dies.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The RCBS Jr, no question, is adequate for standard reloading functions; for $30 it is a good value. BUT presses last a lifetime of loading and while you will pay decidedly more for a Rockchucker, the leverage advantage, and the versatility of the Rockchucker (forming wildcat brass, loading magnum cartridges with ease) may be worthy of your consideration.

Even if you foresee being a casual handloader and money isn't tight, I would recommend the heavier duty press. You will benefit from its features everytime you use it.

Posts: 64 | Location: AZ, Maricopa, Phoenix | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
By all means jump on it for that price, that is how a majority of us started, with a decent press and upgraded as we needed to. My first press was a Lee Challenger then I got an RCBS Partner used but new like yours at a Gun Show for $10.00 next I bought an RCBS Rockchucker and added a Piggyback II for progressive loading of 223 and pistol calibers. Still have and use the Partner and Rockchucker. You can always use it as trading fodder if you don't want to keep it.

Steve E........

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote