Find
Notify
Tools

The Psychology of Weatherby???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Looking through the catalogs I see .300 Win. Mag. brass for $20-30 per 100 and .300 Wthby. brass for $90-100 per 100. Now, what on Earth accounts for this difference in price.?

When components for what essentially amounts to the same cartridge are so far apart, pricewise, it makes me think that this is simply another case of "If it's expensive, it must be good" syndrome.

I'm familiar with Weatherby products, and in my mind there's nothing Earth-shattering about them that would justify the premium one pays for them, including their rifles.

Am I missing something, here??? Or, should I be tickled pink to pay substantially more for a rifle and 400% more for Weatherby brass?

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I buy bulk Remington .300 Weatherby brass for about $40/100. Still a bit pricey, but about the same as their 7mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, well if that surprises you, don't ever look at the price of 30-378 brass.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .300 Wby factory brass is made by Norma - all Norma brass is expensive, although usually of good quality. As Ricochet said above: if you compare with Remington bulk packed .300 Wby brass, the price difference is less obvious.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am definitely not defending Weatherby prices here. I own two Weatherby's (.257, 7mm)and I cringe every time I have to buy brass for them. However, as posted previously, Remington made brass can be had for comparable prices (at least for the .300 Weatherby). How it compares to Weatherby brass...can't say. Took a minute and did a quick search on Midway and found something interesting though, that I believe gives the answer. If I am correct in my thinking, Weatherby has their brass produced and marketed by Norma. 100 cases of .300 Winnie brass with the Norma brand is $107.21. 20 cases of .300 Weatherby brand (Norma)is $18.99. Multiply that by 5 for a total of $94.95. The .300 Winnie brass is more expensive. So, I think it is Norma that has gotten mighty proud of their brass. Is it worth it?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

yeah, well if that surprises you, don't ever look at the price of 30-378 brass.

Or 378 Brass !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should try buying Lazzeroni brass! How about $2 a piece!!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The .300 Winnie brass is more expensive. So, I think it is Norma that has gotten mighty proud of their brass. Is it worth it?

I noted the same thing at Graf & Sons, so you may be on to something: the Norma Factor!

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Rem-Brass in Nickel in 300Wby as to keep my 7 Stw brass seperate--Hornady also makes [[ good brass ]] and is in 50 per bag for the 300Wby at a decent Price. www.midsouthshooterssupply.com $ www.lockstock.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Psychology of Weatherby???

THEIR OFF THEIR ONION!!!!!

Posts: 36 | Location: prince george bc canada | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It probably is fairer to compare full length H&H brass with the Weatherby.
Is it not so that Swedish exports are supporting a very "humane" social scheme?
I flee from supporting someone else's commune out of my family's old age savings.
Cheers from Darkest Kalifornian Kansantasavalta,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Note for .340 Weatherby owners:

The Remington .300 Weatherby brass makes good .340 Weatherby cases if you use a tapered expander in your sizing die. It's just like necking up .30-06 brass for .338-06 cartridges. In fact, I use the tapered expander out of my .338-06 RCBS die set in the .340 sizer die.

Caution!: Be careful, though, if you own both a .300 Wby rifle and a .340 Wby rifle. You don't want to get the loaded cartridges mixed up. I only own a .340 Wby so this works out for me.

Just passing along a tip for those that may not have thought of it yet.
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote