THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anyone modified a case for Stoney Point OAL gauge?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone modified a case for Stoney Point OAL gauge?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
I just ordered and received a Stony Point OAL gauge so I could start playing with my new toy, a .270 WSM. I've managed to reload 32 years without one, but you know how it is with new toys!! Anyways, the case that came was for a .300WSM instead of a .270WSM. My first thought was t just run it into the .270 sizing die, but then I started thinking about what I would have to do to get the bullet to slide easily in the neck during the sizing operation. Then I started looking at it, and it just looks like the primer hole is drilled out and a tap run in(not sure what size it is yet) to the base of the case. Has anyone here modified their own cases for this OAL gauge??? Would I be better off to size the .300 WSM case and ream the neck out or a combination of outside turning and neck reaming??? I"m anxious to start reloading with it and don't really wan't to wait to send it back. Thanks.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just send them a once-fired case. They'll modify it for ~$6.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go to the nearest reloading supply and they should have a 270WSM modified case from stoneypoint , w/o the hassle of making your own ,as I've tried it and the hassle is not worth the $8.oo or whatever. Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry Doc stutter

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the thread size but it's not a "run of the mill" cutter.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
5/16x36 tap.
Depends on what level of precision you are looking for whether it's worth the trouble or not.
I've used both types of cases and only noticed a difference in my Ar15.
In a stock Win 70 30-06 and Sako .243, using a fired case didn't provide any noticeable improvement in accuracy.
Just my experience

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bowhuntr, Stoney Point will sell you the 5/16"x36 Tap, and 7.3mm Drill Bit for $30.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote