Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vihtavuori powders
 Login/Join

posted
Has any one used the Vihtavuori powders? are they any good?
Sincerely stepinit

Posts: 1 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use them all the time for 30-30 Win (N140), 308 Win (N-150), 30-06 (N 160), 338 Winmag (N 160), 35 Whelen (N 150), 375 Ruger (N160).

Good powders, work like a dream.

And by the way, welcome to the best forum there is Big Grin

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First-rate powders. love them in my small calibers as well.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
They were my go-to powders in my BR rifles (N-133 in the .30PPC, N-135 in the .30BR).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sole drawback to the Vihtavuori powders are the prices they charge for them. I have only used N-165 but it was the best powder I have used in my .270wsm.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use N320 and N340 in handgun cartridges. Very clean and consistent burning

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Very clean burning powders. I have been using N160 for over 15 years in my 280 Ackley Imp, 243, 7mm08. I also use the N560 in the 280 AI and I found this gave even better velocity. N165 was not so good for me but a great performer in the 7mm WSM of my friend'.

N150 does very well in the 7mm08 & 9.3X62. Yes they cost more than other powders.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11218 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a ton of N130 and N133 in calibers such as .222 Rem, .223 Rem, 6mm PPC. N135 for 6mm BR, N135 and N150 for .308 (N140 being the classic choice, but I happened to have N135 and N150 at hand). N160 for calibers such as .270 Win and .30-06. N560 for .270 Wby - a combination with built-in light show... Eeker

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
The only thing wrong with Vihtavuori powder is the cost (and in some places, availability). I personally have never read anything negative about the quality or performance of Vihtavuori powders.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to all the good qualities mentioned above, the powders also meter like a dream.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The sole drawback to the Vihtavuori powders are the prices they charge for them.

Totally agree.

Vihtavuori are the most consistent, lot to lot, of any powders I have ever used.

One of Us
Picture of Jken
posted Hide Post
We use a lot of Vihtavuori powder over here. We dont have a heap of powder makers around us. Vihtapowder is very good and also cheaper than Norma powder.
I use N310 for sub loads in 308W, N120 and N130 for reduced loads in 375HH and 470NE, N133 and 135 for 45-70, N140 and N160 for real loads in 308W, 375HH and 470NE.
Works well for me.

A famous mom said: Stupid is, who stupid does.

Posts: 27 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the UK it is the "go to" powder of choice for those who shoot old Lee Enfield rifles.

With either N140 or N150 you can exactly duplicate the British military 174 grain bullet at 2,450fps loading in 303 British.

I also used N160 in my 270 Winchester with 140 and 150 grain bullets and found it extremely accurate. The only downside? As others have said. It is expensive.

I also used N320 as a factory duplication load in the 38 Special with 158 grain RNL bullet.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use them in a couple of calibers, very uniform. I get really small vel deviations & usually terrific accuracy w/ good vel. They are quite expensive comapred to US brands but fo the few 100 rifle rounds I shoot a year w/ themm, it's not a big deal.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
Yep, expensive. Almost 2X here, where I live.
Clean, consistant, meters well, accurate? You betcha. Worth the price? Probably not.
I will ALWAYS have some on my bench, though.
I've used some in my Magnums (.300) and smaller rifles (.222) I've also used some in my pistols (41)
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Cebu, Central Philippines and as the saying goes, you can choose any powder you want for as long as it's Vihtavuori (ha ha). Seriously, it's the ONLY powder available here at $45.50 per pound. Most of you reloaders out there are lucky to have the priveledge of many choices.
I use 24 grains VV N133 under the Hornady 60 grain V Max with great results on my Douglas barreled Sako Vixen 223.
Happy hunting!

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I use the Vv N5XX series powders almost exclusively.

I can get about 100-150fps more Mv @ a given pressure from my 8X57IS W/a 200gr bullet using Vv N550 than what I can get W/any other powders.

(I use Quickload for load developemnt)

These are high energy powders & they are very dense per volume.

One can use a slower powder @ a higher charge weight per case volume. This results in compressed loads that yield more MV & better standard deviation (accuracy) W/O exceeding safe pressure levels. I think Hornady uses a similar aproach for their "Light Magnum" loadings.

Very accurate too. Acording to Quickload predictions & case appearance/bolt lift, that load is under 60,000 psi & is used in a modern comercial M98 action.

N560 is a bit slower & better for larger volume cases/heavier bullets. N560 is a good substitute for RL 22 but not up to Norma MRP standards in large cases.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Have never tried them. With the quality they represent and what I hear, I'm afraid they would shoot VERY well and then I'd be tempted to use, what to me is, a VERY expensive powder compared to Hodgdon, IMR, AA, Ramshot and the Reloader series.

But then, that's just me. hilbily

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I get some of my greatest speeds using VV powders in my 300 WM.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N-140 is the best powder out there for 7.62x54r.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 390ish:
N-140 is the best powder out there for 7.62x54r.

Then you should try some N540 or perhaps N550..

I'll bet you can get 100+fps more MV W/better accuracy W/a compressed load.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The VV powders are not all THAT much more expensive if you order online and shop around. Once you find a powder you like for a cartridge you shoot a lot, you can usually get a pretty good discount buying in bulk from the online retailers--especially those catering to the BR crowd like Bruno and Sinclair or others.

I think you'll find that n-135 is a pretty versatile powder as is N340 -- you can find VV's recommended applications here:

http://www.lapua.com/en/home.html

Don't worry if the link takes you to Lapua--they are the same outfit.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use VV N340 for the standard weight bullet in 9mm, 40S&W and 45 ACP. As noted above; it meters very easily. When I could shoot it was my first choice.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of Sako's factory loads are made with VV powders. I will try and get a scan of the latest ammunition listing from Sako that shows the exact charges/powder type and specific bullet. If I scan it in ok I will send it in for the reference section.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I am interested in this as well. I notice that the Barnes website specifies this powder for the 375 H&H with 300 grain and get 2600+ at 100% capacity. Seems to out perform RL15 which I know is a favorite. HEres the info:

POwder |Min Gr |fps | MAx Gr| fps | Capacity
VIT N540 68.0 2455 75.0 2655 100%

Would like to hear experience with this load of anyone has it.

_Baxter