THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    REDDING TYPE S FULL BUSHING DIE VS FORSTER BUSHING BUMP NECK SIZING DIE

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

REDDING TYPE S FULL BUSHING DIE VS FORSTER BUSHING BUMP NECK SIZING DIE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What, if anything, is the difference in function of the Redding Type S Full Bushing Die and the Forster Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Die?

I want to try one or the other of these with my Blaser R93 .22-250 heavy target barrel. I know there is controversy over the need for such dies but I have decided to try a set anyway and I just want to make sure I correctly understand each of their function before I decide between them.

The Blaser bolt collets probably allow slightly more case head set back on firing than a Mauser type turnbolt. So I don’t want to neck size only for a Blaser and I don’t want to have to split neck sizing and setting the shoulder back a couple of thou into two operations.

Have any of you got any direct experience with either of these dies?

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
I use the Redding Type-S Full length sizing Bushing Die for my 243 win. It will full length resize the whole case, body and neck in one operation. You may need 3 bushings. Used with or without an expander button. I have not used the Forster Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Die, this die will neck size only and move the shoulder back .001" or .002" It does NOT touch the body of the brass. There is nothing giving support to the body when bumping, if over done, the brass may not fit the chamber. To use this die correcty, you need to measure with a tool exactly how much you are bumping.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
243winxb,

Thank you for your very clear explanation. I thought that might be the difference between FL size and bump, but didn't know for certain.

Do you think that a neck-bump die like the Forster, if used correctly as you describe, would be appropriate in assembling hunting ammo where reliable feeding and chambering are critical? Or is that why you personally chose to go with the Redding?

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Hunting ammo should always be full length resized.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside I too shoot a blaser and was told I couldn't neck size for it. At first I had some problems but they turned out to be die related. Once I got my house in order I have been very successful with neck sizing for my Blaser in 308Win and I actually neck size my hunting ammo as well - though I would run it all through the rifle before taking it into the field just to make sure it chambers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can neck size for an R93, I did so for quite a few years. But I tired of hard chambering reloads, the straight pull action naturally misses the leverage offered by a traditional bolt action. The main reason I had for neck sizing was to minimize case trimming. I found a pretty good compromise between easily chambering reloads and minimized trimming by using PFLS. Try it, you won't be disappointed with how smoothly the reloads chamber - in particular compared to neck sized reloads.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote