Find
Notify
Tools

who makes the best .30cal 150gn bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
all i shoot is 30 cal .3030 to 300rum
i havent had any problems finding a good 165.0r 180grain that was accurate with the
right powder and primer.cant seem to find one that works well at vel over 3000fps
any help ?keeping in mind this is a hunting
bullet.

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
depends on what your shooting at over 3000 I would think most regular bullets would blow up. nosler makes a 150 partition. Barnes makes a 150 x both of those should be better at over 3000. winchester as a 150 fail safe.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
There is no such animal!

It depends on your firearm, your loading data, and the weather conditions.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<OKShooter>
posted
If you are looking for a decent bullet that is accurate in most rilfes, take a look at the 180 gr. Swift Scircocco. I've been using the 180 gr. Scirocco for some time now, and it has worked very well in my 06s and 06AI. I have limited experience with it in a 30 cal. magnum, but my Canadian hunting buddy's son likes them in his 300 Weatherby.

The Scirocco looks a lot like a Ballistic Tip, but simularity ends at general external appearance. The Scirocco uses a more or less conventional tapered jacket, but the jacket tapers into a very thick portion past the ogive. The jacket is also soldered to the core and is very heavy at the base.

I've used the 180 gr. 30 caliber Scirocco and the 150 gr. 7mm Scirocco on Canadian black bears with no complaints at all. I've also had the opportunity to examine the wound channel on a black bear and a deer and a couple of recovered bullets. They hold together very well, and most frequently will give complete side-to-side penetration. In other words, it has been difficult to recover a bullet.