Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite powders, 9,3X74R?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Wondering what flavors y'all are partial to.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vihta N140 works well for me from 232 to 250 grain bullet weight, also Norma 202 is a good option for the lighter bullets like the 10 Gram copper KJG from Sax and others.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for a double rifle in that caliber. It was regulated with Norma ammo and I use a Norma factory duplication load using Norma 203B powder. There are good loading recipes for this caliber and others on Norma's website.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Anyone using any of the ReLoader powders from Alliant?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma 203B is said to identical or quite similar to Alliant RL15. Norma manufactures the RL powders.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l'm using ADI 2209 / H4350 in my #1 and will be trying in in my new 9.3 double Big Grin

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to load for my Chapuis is 54 grains of Reloader 15 in a Norma case, any standard primer and any 286 grain bullet. It really likes Nosler partitions and some old Normas that I have. I've shot some six shot groups at 100 yards that have been under 1 1/4 inch using a 4x Leupold scope.

Last week I shot the rifle to check the zero and it put two Noslers through one slightly enlarged hole at 25 yards.

I've tried other powders, but haven't come close to what Reloader 15 does in my rifle.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use VVN-140 in the 9.3x62; for my tastes it doesn't occupy enough space in the 9.3x74R case - but folks claim good results with it nevertheless; just my personal load density preference.

I prefer H-4350 with 250 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips or Accubonds in my Drilling.

I've also tried IMR-4350 & AA-4350 and they performed well also.

Use primarily Norma cases, but Geco & RWS are fine, too. Sparked by WLR primers w/a Lee Factory Crimp Die to the upper edge of the canneleure.

Have fun with your 9.3x74R.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using RL-15 and 285 gr. Privi-Partizan bullets in my Chapuis 9.3x74R. It shoots very well (each barrel groups 1-1.5 inches at 50 yards) and I am getting the regulation quite close. I may try other powders as I have time, but RL-15 has worked well for my first loads.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dale, I just received a bag of the Prvi 285s and two boxes of Hornady brass from Graf's. Will start out using Re15.

– John Green, author