Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WBY mag
 Login/Join

posted
I just purchased a 300 wby magnum in a accumark model. I haven't been able to come up with a round that shoots very well yet. Does anyone have this gun and know of some accurate rounds to try? I also want to know what overall cartridge lenghth works the best.

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 2 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bob. I've done lots of work with that cartridge. I'm back in the office now so I don't have my data with me. Off the top of my head, I had good luck with MRP, IMR- 7828 and H-4831. Shoot me an email and I'll be glad to send you some data. jorge

PS: I have an Accumark in 340 and it's a hell of a shooter!

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have that model, but have found that from 82-85 gr of IMR-7828 under a 180 gr Nosler Partition shoots very well in most .300 Wthbys. Start low and work up, of course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above posts--especially 7828 from 82-85 grains with almost any 180 grainer should shoot well.

ANOTHER NOTE: be sure you have a clean barrel and that means get the copper out!! Sweets or wipeout or any good copper cleaner should be a standard accessory!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 300 Weatherby -- a Remington 700 Classic with a 24 in. barrel -- I consistently get 3000+ f.p.s. using 200 grain bullets, and 3200+ using 180 grain bullets, from max loads of IMR 7828, as given in the IMR loading manual. I use Remington brass and Federal 215 primers. In at least some loads I tried, H 4831 tended to give better accuracy than 7828, but max. velocity was about 100 f.p.s. lower. Most recently I've been working with RL 22 in this rifle, but I don't yet have enough results to report.

My rifle too has so far been somewhat less accurate than I would like.

[ 09-05-2003, 01:17: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I did a lot of research on the 300 Weatherby on the Web and nearly every reloading source/manual available in preparation for my Africa trip. I decided to shoot 200 grain Nosler Partitions and ultimately narrowed the powder choices down to IMR 7828, Retumbo and Reloader 25, H or IMR 4831. I found 2 or 3 good loads with IMR 7828 (settled on 80.5 grains of IMR7828 with 200 grain Partition, Federal 215 primers at a chronographed 3050 fps from a 26 inch barrel shooting 3 shots from a cold barrel into 1 � inches) and the others were marginal including the standard 4831. Subsequently I�ve loaded 180 grain and 165 grains with IMR 7828 and found it to be accurate with those combinations also. I think I�m sold on it for the Weatherby. I hate to say it but one of the biggest problems with the Weatherby cartridges is the freebore. My rifle is a model 70 Winchester and is factory chambered to Weatherby specifications. I couldn�t seat the bullet out far enough to be anywhere close to the lands without exceeding the magazine box. I�d be willing to bet that chambered without the freebore one could get much better accuracy but albeit at lower velocity. Try IMR7828 first, bet you will be pleased.
Good luck.

Paul

[ 09-05-2003, 05:56: Message edited by: Paul Reed ]

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
<AZOnecam>
posted
I'm also looking for any info on reloading the 300 Wby. Mag. I just started reloading and so far have tried a couple loads with IMR 4350 and Reloader 19 (76 and 73 grains, resp.) in Federal brass with 168 grain CT (Nosler) ballistic silver tips. I've heard good things about the following 3 powders/charges for 165 gr. bullet, but don't want to go out and buy $75 worth of powder to try them all out:

IMR 7828 (86 gr.)
Hogdon 4831 (betwen 79 and 86 gr.)
Reloader 25 (90 grains ?!?)

Any thoughts on these or others?

I'm also quite curious about overall cartridge length. The max I've seen in any manuals is about 3.5625" but the loads listed on this site are 3.6".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZOnecam:
I'm also looking for any info on reloading the 300 Wby. Mag. I just started reloading and so far have tried a couple loads with IMR 4350 and Reloader 19 (76 and 73 grains, resp.) in Federal brass with 168 grain CT (Nosler) ballistic silver tips. I've heard good things about the following 3 powders/charges for 165 gr. bullet, but don't want to go out and buy $75 worth of powder to try them all out:

IMR 7828 (86 gr.)
Hogdon 4831 (betwen 79 and 86 gr.)
Reloader 25 (90 grains ?!?)?

I'm also quite curious about overall cartridge length. The max I've seen in any manuals is about 3.5625" but the loads listed on this site are 3.6".

First, use whatever overall cartridge length works through your magazine. Since Weatherby rifles are freebored you can't load to just shy of the lands, as is usually done with other calibers, you will probably get the best results by loading the bullet out as far as possible, just so it will work through the magazine and action of your rifle.

As to powders: Weatherby in its loading data (some years ago) does give loads with IMR 4350 powder and their stated velocities with it are nearly as high as those they got with MRP or H 4831 (old surplus type); the Lyman manual also lists what look like good results with 4350. But I haven't found IMR 4350 to work especially well in my .300 Weatherby. Since RL 19 is about the same as 4350, I think it's likely to be too-fast burning to give best results in Weatherby cases, which have quite a large powder capacity in relationship to the bullet diameter.

In my rifle, IMR 7828 has given the best velocities. H 4831 may be slightly more accurate in some loads, but top velocities with it, at least in my experience, are lower than what you can get with 7828, and since you bought the Weatherby for top velocities anyway, why not work to get them? I have no experience at all with RL 25. I tried H 870 a bit, but it didn't give me anything noteworthy so I gave up on it. I've begun working with RL 22 in the .300 Weatherby, and preliminary results seem promising, but I can't give any hard findings or data yet about it.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<AZOnecam>
posted
Lloyd,
Thanks for the insight. I'll be picking up a pound of 7828 soon, and just bought 100 actual Wby cases (norma) to see if they perform any better than the Federal cases that cost half as much. I'll post my findings here.

Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've really only shot 180 gr bullets through my re-barreled Model 700 in .300 Wthby. But I swear by IMR-7828 - as I said above, 82 gr under almost any 180 gr bullet shoots under 3/4 inch consistently in my rifle. Speer Grand Slams seem to shoot best, but the difference between them and Partitions or Hornady Interlocks is meaningless for hunting. My rifle does not have the freebore, so lower powder charges are called for. My friend's rifle, at Weatherby specs, shoots 85 gr of IMR-7828 easily - in mine, I get sticky bolt lift and ejector marks on the brass at that level.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My #1 (26" Pac-Nor barrel) likes Reloder 25 with 180 grain bullets and Federal 215 primers. I get better than MOA with 84 grains. I like Re25 becuse it meters easily, and I understand that it's very stable.

posted Hide Post
My load in my "Wal-mart special" $388 Weatherby Vangaurd

IMR-7828 = 85
180 speer sp
Rem brass
Win mag primers

3161 fps

.58 @ 100 yards

I bought this rifle just to play with. Now it is one of my top hunting rifles. I would have never guessed that a $388 rifle would shoot that well.

My elk load is (if they ever draw me) 200 nosler partition over 82 grains of IMR-7828 for 3000fps..and groups right at 1 inch.

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZOnecam:
just bought 100 actual Wby cases (norma) to see if they perform any better than the Federal cases that cost half as much.

I haven't used Federal cases in .300 Weatherby, but I do use Remington ones -- I bought a batch of 100 new ones from Midway -- and I cannot tell any difference in actual performance between them and the Weatherby ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
perkins42

i shoot 80gr. h-4831 behind 180 gr. nosler partitions. good results from my wby. mark v lasermark. good shooting

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a short throated 300Wby, uses 80grs 7828 for 3020fps with 200gr Noslers. This is it's favorite load to date but my gunsmith tells me he is getting similar or better results with 81grs to 83grs of R25. Again, this rifle is custom throated so a standard Wby throat dimension may not achieve the same velocity or accuracy results.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice!
I'm still working on it, but I getting better results. The latest load was a 200 GR acubond with 76 grains of RL-22. I am averaging about 1.25 inch groups with this. Seems like everyone really likes the IMR 7828 so I think I'll try that behind the acubond bullets and some 180 grain ballistic silver tips. I'll let you know the results. Does anyone know if Nosler is ever going to make a 30 cal. acubond bullet that weighs less than 200 grains?

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 2 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 85 Gr. of IMR7828 with a 165 Gr. Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail in a Vanguard. It runs about 3225 to 3250 depending on temperature. It usually hangs around an inch or less and is absolute T-total hell on whitetails. I haven't tried other powders as 7828 shoots so well. Weatherby brass does shoot better than the Remington stuff.

Posts: 41 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took mine out today and it shot 1/2" groups with 83.5 grains of 7828 behind 180 grain partitions. Two weeks ago was the first time I had shot this gun (Remington Classic) and it is a fantastic gun. I shot 82.5, 83.5 and 84.5 of 7828 today and all three were less than an inch 83.5 was the best though. Can't wait till elk season [Smile]

Now if I could just get my .280 to shoot, been having a lot of trouble with it this year and haven't figured out the problem. Had the gun for 15 years and now it won't shoot a decent group.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote