New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver Grand Slam Scopes
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello Folks: I need some advice and I have received a bunch here lately. This time its concerning scopes. I could go to the rifle forum but I like the attitude here. I am going to buy a scope for a Remington 30/06. Now I had a Weaver on a rifle for, well several decades. It finally gave up and fogged up on a hunt. I think its 55 years out of warranty so I need to buy a new one. This may explain my interest in the Weaver Grand Slam scope. I have heard great things about it. I would prefer to buy it over the OTHER brand if they are anywhere equal. The OTHER brand is the Leupold of course. A Vari X II to be specific. Of course if someone cheers on another scope in the $300 area I would look at that to. I have been lucky and my scopes have lasted a long time. Of course they were nothing like the ones now. They were dim by comparison but they worked. Besides, they were given to me by my father when I was 7 and I wasn't about to change them if I could help it. So what is it? Burris, Weaver, BSA, or maybe even Leupold? Any advice would help. Jim Lawrence

<Chainsaw>
posted
Heck Jim, advise is cheap and here is mine. I own a falling block rifle with a Weaver 2-10x38mm in the Classic series, and this scope costs around $145.00 new.

A buddy of mine has a VariX11 in 3-9x40mm on his .308 A darn nice scope but as we were comparing them at dusk one evening, we could see little difference but if you had to pick one, the Weaver seemed "a smidgeon" brighter. He had his 7mag that wears a VariX 3,40mm that appeared a lot brighter than the other 2 scopes. That the view from here, FWIW---------Chainsaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello JIM; the best scope quality/price is a Leupold VARI-X 3;costs more than $300 but you will get fine eye relief;2.5-8X-36 or something near it....

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always liked Leupold scopes,but Natchez Shooters Supply had some real good buys on Weaver classics this summer.I called Weaver and talked to a tech and he said the classic series had the exact same lenses and coatings as the Grand Slams.So I ordered a 2-10 to try one and liked it so well that I ordered a 3-9 and a 6-24.They gather light great and are extremely clear and have lifetime warranties.I will buy another one if the need for a new gun arises.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Leupolds varix 11 or 111, I really like the 1x4 varible or 1.5x5 for big game hunting. Weavers are a little sensitive to cold weather, tend to fog.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Natchez and a couple of other folks (Southern Shooters) are selling the last of the VariX-II's and Weaver Classics. I saw a Classic advertized for $109 the other day, and the VariX II advertised for @ $226. They had a Grand Slam for about the same money. The Weaver Grand Slam compares nicely with the VariX-III. You cannot go wrong with any of these scopes at these prices. Ku-dude

<bearlake>
posted
I have used both brands, the weaver V-series and the leupold Vari-X. I could tell no diff in quality or optics at all both very good. The weaver was half the price and for what ever reason i still do not know i always liked it better. Maybe it was the rifle it was on but i just always had more faith in it. The leupold was a $500.00 scope and it spent most of it's time on the gun rack because i did not want to scratch it! I use the weaver all the time and love it! Save your self $250.00. Stick with tradition stick with weaver! Maybe you can give it to your son or grandson.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Posted the same thread JIM. These is the replies I got!

http://www.huntamerica.com/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000640

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"

[This message has been edited by POP (edited 12-15-2001).]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote