THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    40 S&W - Hornady 155 grain HP/XTP and Unique Powder

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 S&W - Hornady 155 grain HP/XTP and Unique Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WVHunter129
posted
It has been a while since I have posted, but I have a question of all my reloader buddies out there. I have been using Alliant Powder Unique in my 380, 9mm, 357/38 and 45 ACP with no problems or worries.

The other day I was loading up some 40 S&W for my son (26 yrs old) using Hornady 155 grain HP/XTP bullets. I refered to my Hornady manual and they did not list using Unique powder. I check my Speer manual and found 155 grain GDHP bullets which had a recipe using Unique.

SO, I used that recipe. It called for starting load of 7.2 grains of Unique. So that is what I charged all 50 rounds with. I noticed while charging the casings that the charge was approximately 1/2 to 3/4 filling the case. I weighed each charge to make sure I was using ONLY 7.2 grains.

Has anyone used this recipe for the Hornady bullets. I am worried about pressure. He shoots a Springfield XD Sub-Compact 40 S&W pistol.

Will be looking for any advice or comments.

Thanks in advance.

WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Member National Rifle Association (NRA)

Posts: 25 | Location: Fayetteville, WV | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I haven't loaded Unique in a 40 S&W. My reloads for the .40's that we have in a 155g bullet are 8.6 grains of Power Pistol and it is working out just fine. Accuracy is good and velocity is around 1260-1300 fps depending on the barrel length of the particular .40 that we are shooting.

On Hodgdon's powder burn rate chart Unique is just a whisper faster burning than Power Pistol. Out of 145 powders listed from fastest being 1 to slowest being 145, Unique comes in at 31 and Power Pistol at 33. From that chart and my experience I would think you would be ok as far as pressure is concerned.

We shoot a couple of Sigs and a couple of Springfield XD's and both guns are capable of handling that pressure from your load, I would think. Our XD's also are full size which means longer barrel and that would result in higher velocities and pressure than in a Sub Compact I would think.]

You should be ok. Shoot them over a chronograph is one is available and see how they perform accuracywise. If you're not satisfied take a peek at Power Pistol.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote