New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP win brass flash hole enlarged!
 Login/Join

<HKG3>
posted
While resizing this morning I noticed some brass I picked up while out shooting at friends, the flash hole is twice the size or bigger! It is winchester brass, is that a sign of overpressure or would the flash hole be enlarged for some reason?

As always Thanks
HK

<Mudruck>
posted
Ive seen some brass like that, it was used with those little rubber 'primer powdered' training bullets.

Mudruck

<ty>
posted
I bought 1000 winchester 45's with the big primer hole.I e-mailed winchester and they said they were safe to reload.I have loaded all of them and cannot tell the difference between the big or small hole.

<ty>
posted
Oh I forgot to say the big primer hole comes like that from the factory.the brass is used with the winclean ammo Hope this helps

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You answered your own question..."WinClean". You will find the same situation in the Federal cases also. Seems that when they try to make EPA and OSHA happy by taking the good stuff out of the primers and powders, and completely enclosing the bullet in brass, that a larger primer hole is required for the compound to ignite the powder.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
Does anyone know what cal's are going to have this large primer hole from now on?

Is everyone in manufacturing going to this large primer hole ?

Seems to me that the large primer holes together with the loose fit of some new primers is going to be a problem.

Do we need to buy up some brass that has not made this change yet ?

Best , Dyno