New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reloading for Semi-automatics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not many people have problems using factory ammo in semi-auto. Does it mean that the factory ammos are loaded according to the small base spec?

RCBS dies have served me well for quite sometime. Thanks for your advice.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handload for my 300WSM Browning BAR. I use RCBS FL dies and have no problems what so ever. I have shot several hundred rounds and it hasn't missed a beat. My BAR will shoot 165gr Nosler Partitions with 71 gr. of Hunter at 3140 fsp in a .786in. group at 100 yards. It droped a nice buck in it's tracks at 275 yards last Saturday, right in the boiler room.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

When reloading for a automatic rifle or a lever action rifle the way to prevent jams is to use small base dies from RCBS or better yet the RCBS small base X dies if available, depending on caliber.....Small base dies return the case to factory specs...

I am currently shooting a Remington 300WM SS BDL.

Would small base dies work to get my New RP Nickle brass to work properly? I Full Length resize with Redding dies but 300WM bolt won't close with out a lot of effort. They are not to long I have trimed them with a Lee trim die. I wanted to use the Nickle brass for hunting loads since they don't tarnish like regular brass. I am to the point of tossing all the Nickle in the trash.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny Boy,

I have reloaded for the following auto loaders:

FN Fal (mine)
L1A1 (mine)
M14 (mine)
M1A (mine and a friends)
M1 Carbine (mine and a couple friends)
M1 Garand (3 or 4 of them . . . all belonging to friends)
BAR (2 of them both 30-06) (mine)
AR15 (both 223 and 50 Beowulf)

I have always used RCBS or Lee full length sizing dies, I have full length sized the cases, and NEVER EVER had a problem.

The ONLY time I had a problem was when I got the "bright" idea of trying NECKSIZED cases in a BAR! That was NOT, REPEAT NOT, a good idea as the case jammed and good.

I think you will be WELL served by a normal full length sizing die of good quality, and ALWAYS full length resize.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am currently shooting a Remington 300WM SS BDL.

Would small base dies work to get my New RP Nickle brass to work properly? I Full Length resize with Redding dies but 300WM bolt won't close with out a lot of effort. They are not to long I have trimed them with a Lee trim die. I wanted to use the Nickle brass for hunting loads since they don't tarnish like regular brass. I am to the point of tossing all the Nickle in the trash.

Have you got the FL die screwed down touching the shell holder and added a 1/4 turn more? The press should cam over when sizeing if set properly. The shoulder of the cases are likely pulled by the expander, or pushed forward by the case body being sized and causing the resistance you are feeling. The extra lenght is in the headspace not the OAL.

I`m not a fan of nickled cases but I don`t think you need to "trash" them.........

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote