New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forester FL Die setup
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up some a forester benchrest die set. It has a full length sizer and the fancy seating die. My question is am I correct in the setup of the sizing die. I looks to me like is says ram on press up, screw die till in touches shell holder , then with the shell holder still in up position go another 1/8 to 1/4 turn so there is no slop in the linkage of the press lock the lock ring. So you dont have the slight cam over like all my rcbs dies?? There is no slop in linkage when I screw dies to touch shell holder

Posts: 63 | Location: ND | Registered: 02 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For full length resizing I bring mine to touch, then give another 1/8th turn or so just like the directions say and have never had a problem. Partial Full Length sizing using the full length sizing dies is another matter. By the way I really like Forster stuff.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do to this is my first set no slop in the threads and sizes nice and lock rings actually lock dies in

Posts: 63 | Location: ND | Registered: 02 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do to this is my first set no slop in the threads and sizes nice and lock rings actually lock dies in

“My question is am I correct in the setup of the sizing die. I looks to me like is says ram on press up, screw die till in touches shell holder , then with the shell holder still in up position go another 1/8 to 1/4 turn so there is no slop in the linkage of the press lock the lock ring. So you don't have the slight cam over like all my RCBS dies?? There is no slop in linkage when I screw dies to touch shell holder

For full length resizing I bring mine to touch, then give another 1/8th turn or so just like the directions say and have never had a problem. Partial Full Length sizing using the full length sizing dies is another matter. By the way I really like Forster stuff.

I do to this is my first set no slop in the threads and sizes nice and lock rings actually lock dies in”

The reloader that does not know the length of the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber has no choice but to screw the die down to the shell holder with the proverbial 1/4 turn, .017” below contact. Then there are reloaders that do not understand ‘minimum length/full length sized’, meaning: After the case is sized they do not know if it is full length sized to minimum length or if the case whipped the press or if the press whipped the case. So there are reloaders that are going through the motions of sizing and following directions that do not know what to expect.

Again, I size cases for a 30/06 chamber with the die adjusted off the shell holder .014”, the chamber is .016” longer than a minimum length case from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber, meaning the chamber is .11” longer than a go-gage length chamber.

Taking slack out of the threads when the die does not reach the shell holder: Simple, place a .030” shim between the shell holder and bottom of the die, raise the ram then secure the die to the press with the lock ring BEING CAREFUL NOT TO ALLOW THE DIE TO ROTATE! because the die has threads, the threads are described as an “INCLINE-PLANE.

I use a feeler gage to adjust the die to the shell holder, I size cases from short chambers (.012” shorter than minimum length) to infinity over field reject chamber length WITH A FULL LENGTH SIZER DIE. All if my dies have come with instructions, the instructions came with full length versatile dies, threads make my dies versatile.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote