New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Mag & Crimp
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What type of crimp should I use on this cartridge. It will be used in a Marlin 1894 lever action. I'm not sure if I'm going to be using lead or copper.

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
hglass-
I always use a HEAVY taper crimp when loading any weight bullet for my .454 Casull. That is, as much crimp as the bullet will allow without distorting the case. This becomes increasingly important as bullet weight increases. Aslo, SD's are lower and accuracy is usually better when using a heavy crimp ay any bullet weight.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A heavy roll crimp in the bullets cannalure is what I use.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waxman:
A heavy roll crimp in the bullets cannalure is what I use.

Ditto

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Heavy roll-crimp.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm another Heavy Roll Crimp user, done as an extra Process Step.

Be sure to Trim all the Cases to the same length.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Yet another heavy roll crimper. (A lot heavier than I used to be.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a heavy roll crimp in revolvers to keep the bullet from jumping out of the case, but have tested no crimp vs. light crimp vs. heavy crimp in a 357 lever gun and couldn't tell any difference.

As a result, now my lever gun loads are given only a light crimp, just enough to tuck the case mouth into the crimp groove. No point in working the brass more than necessary.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy roll crimp here also. Gives more uniform powder ignition also.

Posts: 27 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
I use a heavy crimp as well. It keeps the bullets from coming loose under heavy recoil and allows for for uniform powder ignition with lighter loads.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trenton
posted Hide Post
Heavy roll crimp, provides consistent ignition and in your Marlin it will keep the bullets from being seated further into the case. Use the heavy roll crimp with both lead or jacketed bullets, another thing, if you have a case trimmer, trim all of the cases to the same length to insure a consistent crimp with all of the cartridges that you load.

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon for now... | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
roll crimp, but not to heavy that u ruin the brass. Crimp into the cannalure. Just meet the surface of the bullet. The correct expander plug/case fit is what really holds the bullet. Keep the case length as close as possible.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Another roll crimp guy, but just enough to keep the bullet in the case of the 6th round fired in a revolver.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the lee 4 die carbide set for the 44mag.Its great and my 1894 loves the ammo i make!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootin' paper patch 300 grains of pure lead, close to max charge of Li'l Gun. Mild taper crimp, no issues with a Ruger 77/44. They worked in a Ruger Red Hawk as well, at least one box worth. 'Nother fella's gun....

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die for $10.00 provides a excellent crimp!

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote