Find
Notify
Tools

7.65 small game/plinking load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted
I recently got an 1891 Argentine Mauser and wanted to make up some light plinking/small game loads using 115 grain 32-20 flat point bullets and maybe Unique. I will tinker around with the load to adjust it to POA, but can anyone give me a good starting point? I also have Re-7 and IMR 3031, but firgured Unique would be fine for light cast loads.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Many people use Red Dot in such loads. I've never made up such a load for my 1891 but it sounds interesting... I've done this for many other rifles and Contender barrels.

Lyman's manual shows 10-14 gr. Red Dot or 12-15 gr. Unique with a 155 gr. cast boolit for about 1800 fps. I'd drop the charge to about 8 gr. of either powder (to start) with the 115 gr. bullet.

Let us know what happens/how it works out for you.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My plinking load in 7.65 is 4.5 Gr. of Red dot with a 115 Gr. bullet. This only runs around 11-1200, but is accurate (under 1" at 25 yds) and doesn't seem positional.

Posts: 16 | Location: Bloomfield Nebraska | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This doesn't address your question at all, but I just wanted to post this since it involves the 1891 Arg. Mauser. I killed a very nice 8 point whitetail yesterday with my 1891 mauser (not sporterized at all). I inherited this rifle from my grandfather when he passed away about 30 years ago. Even though I've owned it for many years, the deer I killed yesterday was the first one I've ever taken with it, so it was a special moment for me. I just never used this rifle much at all for hunting because I prefer scoped rifles, which this one is not. The load was 150 gr. Hornady Sp. Pt., 47 grs. IMR 4350, Fed 210M primer, Norma Brass. I hope you enjoy your 1891.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
115 gr. doesn't need to go that fast to be interesting and effective on small game... Sounds like a winner!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I've been away for a while and couldn't respond immediatly.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote