New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 win and Varget
 Login/Join

<green 788>
posted
I contacted Sierra and asked for a good accuracy load for their 85 grain BTHP .243 (6mm) bullet. The tech suggested 36.5 grains of Varget.

I tried this in my .243, even though the low load density went against my own way of doing things...

With CCI 200 primers, this load is awesome out of my 788 Remington. I nailed a groundhog at a little over 200 yards on Sunday. Massive, silver dollar sized exit wound.

And 100 yard groups are better than ever, well under 1/2 MOA for five shots. I like the fact that it only takes 36.5 grains of the Varget. That means more shots per can of powder. I don't know velocity at this time, but it should be between 2900 and 2950 fps from my 22" barrel.

I used Winchester brass and an OAL of 2.690".

green 788

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm getting ready to work up some loads for my first-ever 243, a stainless synthetic M7. I just happen to have some Varget on the bench, too!

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
BTW Green 788

Ever spend any time in the Beartown Wilderness?

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
You'll have to enlighten me on the Beartown Wilderness... I'm not sure where that is, but it sounds interesting...

Dan

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
It is in your backyard. Not a place to go to for hogs, but a nice remote place to chase bigger critters and get away from other hunters (important for guys like me who live in the big city and don't own land).

Beartown is regarded as the most remote wilderness area in VA. It is just WSW of Burkes Garden and more or less takes up the drainage of Roaring Fork.

I've seen a few folks near the trailhead, but nobody more than half a mile in, during hunting season. I'm sure the college kids are in there during the warmer weather.

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using varget in my 243 with the moly coated 70 gr ballistic tip at 3500 fps in 22" bbl. Very accurate. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Remington's 80 grain hollowpoint over 39.5 grains of Varget in Rem cases, CCI 200 primers, with an oal of 2.630", for 2947 fps out of an 18" Model Seven for a couple of years now. The load groups at .75" 5 shots at 100 yards and is deadly on beavers at 250 yards. It might group better but for the Leupold 1-5 Varx III that limits long shots or precise target work.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Lewis,

I like that set-up, sounds very useful...

green 788