New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3-mm Makarov bullet in rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wanted to have used the training, not too airtight cartridge, with light pistol bullet. For my 9.3x64 match bullets from the Makarov, including the cast. What should be the charge?

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
HMMM; you have a good idea here; the bullets are almost the same diameter. What powders do you have over there? A few grains of pistol powder usually gives a low powered quiet load. How fast to you want it to go?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady 95gr jacketed HP Makarov bullets in a 9.3x74R. They measure .365.

A load of 10gr of Red Dot powder.
No filler. No crimp. Just straighten out the case mouth from the slight flare given to it for seating.
Shoots to point of aim at 50m with no sight adjustment necessary in my D/R.

No idea what the velocity is.
Hardly any recoil. Very pleasent to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a x64, but in a number of 9.3x74R's, I've had pretty good luck with Unique, until Trail Boss came out. Now it's TB in light loads. You need to get the volume of the case up to the base of the bullet you are using. Then start at 70% of that. TB is so nice because you don't have all that open space in the case with powder position issues.
Another option would be to contact MCA Sports and get an adapter made to use Mak ammo. Or get a Hammond Game Getter that uses a round ball and a 22 blank. I've had great luck with the accuracy of these little adapters.
Good Luck
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here there are some nuances. First, reload for rifles and pistols in our country - a federal crime with a fairly high minimum term. Second, pistols and ammunition to them privately owned virtually none. Non-legal - prison. Third, the components to reload, though, or are on sale (powder and primers), or they can be brought from abroad, it is not forbidden (bullets, shells). It is difficult to understand and even harder to explain Smiler.
Thank you, analogue of Unique we have, it's an old Russian gunpowder "Sokol" ("Falcon") for shotguns. There are analogues for other western powders, including rifle powders. Trail Boss - not Frowner .
Some kind of high speed round - I do not intend to pursue, I need a training cartridge, inexpensive, and not powerful. I have a ready-made ammunition, Russian and German, but in this caliber, they are not cheap - about $ 3 our stuff, German - not cheaper than $ 6.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, if you have the equivalent of Unique, use 10 grains and adjust from there. I thought you said that reloading for rifles was illegal in Russia?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, illegal.
So my interest in this subject is, so to speak, platonic.

Let me explain: however, we are being carried out quite openly shooting competitions that use obviously home-made rounds, and so on. Like "Do not Ask, Do not Tell".

Such rigor of the law is directed against the terrorists, that is, if you are not lit up in a crime with a weapon - that you'll hardly attracted by the law on the manufacture of munitions. Naturally, no one will break into your apartment, just to check what ammo you're kitted out.
However, our Gun Law isn't good, and constantly made efforts to change it, to reload rifle ammunition for own use was finally recognized as legitimate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I failed to notice your location. Since we're only talking about theoretical stuff, the Unique load would probably be a good choice. When I used those small charges in a bigger case, I always tipped the gun muzzle up just before I shot to get the powder at the back end of the case. I never had a problem with changes in point of impact with the powder at different locations in the case, but others have reported problems. I tried putting fillers in the case on top of the powder, but have seen reports of others who ringed barrels doing this, so just went back to the loose powder. My best load in my x74's was 12 grains of Unique.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote