Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Q's --- .22-250
 Login/Join

posted
I'm not a new reloader, but it has been nearly 20 years since I was actively "rolling my own."

Hoping you experienced folk can help me get started again.

.22-250 (45 to 55 bullet weight) will be the only round I'll reload.

I'm wanting a list of the minimum gear necessary (I've spent a ton lately on a new rifle)

Please recommend only items with a high bang to buck factor(so to speak) In other words, please ... no Redding competition dies - RockChucker presses - Berger Bullets - Oehler Chronographs and so on. I just can't afford that high end stuff now.

OK ....

1) One or two powders that are tried and true.

2) One or two bullets that are tried and true.

3) One or two primers that are tried and true.

4) Neck size - deprime - bullet seat.

5) Press.

6) hand primer.

7) Scale (will splurge for an electronic model)

8) Powder throw.

9) The best place online to buy the above.

Thanks for your assistance!

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I can tell you what has worked for me with my Ruger No. 1 V in .22-250.
Dies: Redding Competition dies, all. I used Lyman PA dies for many years with excellent results, but like the Redding better. However, the Lyman PA dies are no longer made. Lyman or RCBS dies will work just fine for hunting ammo if you don't want to spring for Comp. dies. Get the neck die in additon to the FL die. Lyman M die for expanding the neck. Remove the decap stem from the sizing die. Deprime first with a universal decapping die. Then tumble to clean your brass, then proceed with sizing...
Powder: H380
Primer: Federal 210M
Cases: I like Winchester
Bullet: I like the Sierra 50 gr. SPT Varminter
Press: I use the RCBS AmmoMaster as I load up to the .50 BMG. One press will do it all. If the .22-250 is all you are going to load for, The Rockchucker will work just fine, as will the Lyman Orange Crusher. I used a Lyman single stage press for over 25 years until I started loading for cases too big for it, then switched to the AmmoMaster.
Priming tool: RCBS desk mounted priming tool. I've been using it since the first year RCBS brought it out.
Scale: PACT Electronic-exact same as the RCBS scale.
Trimmer: Lyman universal trimmer-mine is 30 years old at least.
Powder Thrower: Lyman BP #55 (1 pound cap) works for everything. Standard #55 works fine for most rounds. It only has a half-pound hopper and the hopper is plastic instead of alluminum. Static is not good with BP loads, but with smokeless it is not a problem and works just fine.
Powder trickler: Midway electric
Ballance Beam Scale: Lyman-Ohaus which I bought used 35 years ago when I started reloading and it is as good as new.

Different places will have different best prices on the various items. You really will have to do some looking. Graf & Son is a good place to start, as is D&R Sports, Midway-on a few items, Lock Stock and Barrel...even Cabelas and Bass Pro.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've only been in the game for about 10 years, but here's my two cents:
1. H380 seems to be the go-to powder. Might check into Varget or Benchmark.
2. For .22 caliber rifles, I generally fall back on 40-55 grain Hornady V-maxes. If you're hunting anything bigger than coyotes, you'll need someone else's bullet advice.
3. I've settled on Winchester primers for all my rifles and handguns.
4. I've been real pleased with regular ol' Hornady dies at about $24 from Grafs.
5. Buying a cheap press is false economy. Just spring for the Rockchucker and be done with it.
6. I've been real pleased with the Lee hand primer. Picked mine up on eBay with all the shell holders for about $20 or so.
7. I only have an RCBS balance scale, so I can't comment on electronics.
8. I use and like well enough the RCBS powder measure.
9. I've had very good luck with Graf and Sons for most of my reloading supplies.

All that said, I would heartily recommend that you purchase the RCBS Rockchucker Kit for about $240. Add dies, components, a good caliper, and the hand primer and you're pretty much set.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch, Big Bore and DesertRam. VERY helpful. I really appreciate it. I'll print the posts out later to read and study.

================================================

Finances are slim, but I've raised my budget a bit and re-aligned my thinking on what I should get for long term satisfaction.

Will you guys (everyone's welcome to comment) look the following list over - and let me know what you think?

Yes ... I like RCBS's stuff. I've had it before (early 80's) and was always very satisfied. Has the good "Bang for the Buck" factor stayed high for RCBS over the years?

All RCBS - Midsouth Shooter's Supply On-Line (I've had very good luck with these folks)

• Partner Press........................ $49.78
  • Competition seater................... $51.10
  • Neck size - DePrime.................. $18.83
  • Partner Elec. scale.................. $119.10
  • Uni-Flow measure..................... $54.19
  • Measure stand........................ $18.62
  • 17 cal. funnel....................... $4.17
  • 17 cal. Drop Tube.................... $5.53
  • Shell holder #3 X 2.................. $8.76
  • Bullet Puller........................ $21.90
  • Lee AutoPrime (LOVE these things).... $8.51
TOTAL................................ $360.49
Primers - Bullets - Powder

Thanks again!

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 22 cal or universal powder funnel, the 17 cal is too small in diameter for your 22-250. The other thing I`d consider changing is to go with a balance beam scale instead of the digital. The accuracy is the same and the cost can be quit a bit less. You aren`t weighting every charge if you use a powder measure, and the charge is a fixed wgt anyway. I like the digitals but only use mine to find unknown wgts and use my RCBS 10-10 for setting up and checking my measure.
I would use the $$ saved with the balance scale and pick up a couple good manuals. The manuals are better taken as reloading text books than for their data when starting to load. You can learn most of what you need to know from them and you`ll need a safe sorce of data anyway.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
question mark
I would check out a rcbs master reloading kit for $259 from midway you get everything but the dies. I would also check out lee's collet neck die

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
?, You don't need an electronic scale or competition seater, 5-0-5 RCBS scale works great, Redding, or Hornady Custom dies will also do a fine job for you. Hornady powder measures do an exceptional job, also.Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts...

Partner Press: Can't comment, no experience. Can say that the RockChucker is a good press.
Competition seater: Can't comment on expeience, but will add that the standard 2 Die FL set is probably adequate. I have yet to use a competition seater, and am getting 5/8" groups out of my 250 all the time. The two die set should run about $25.
Neck size - DePrime: A neck size die may be a worthwile investment. I have a neck die...have never used it. I set my Full length die to partial size. I size about half the neck and it barely touches the case "body". Personally, I would get the full length set and try it that way...then get the neck sizer later if you feel you want to try it then.
Partner Elec. scale: I use a balance scale...RCBS505. It is all that you need, but the electronic is nice. Dad has one and likes it for sorting cases. It is suspeptible to drafts.
Uni-Flow measure: Great measure...Its what Dad has, so I grew up on one, and got one for myself when it was time to venture out on my own.
Measure stand: Not required. Uniflow comes with a mounting bracket that can be screwed to the bench top.
17 cal. funnel: Not needed...go with .22 cal.
17 cal. Drop Tube: Not needed
Shell holder #3 X 2: Only one needed
Bullet Puller: Inertia? No experience with RCBS model, but all impact pullers are the same.
Lee AutoPrime: No expeience, can't comment.

Primers - Bullets - Powder

I always use CCI primers. In Large Rifle they are CCI200.

My best shooting bullet is the Sierra 53gr. HP Match. Great shooting bullet...pretty erratic on varmints. One will act as FMJ, next will explode.

Powder: Hodgdon H380!!! Bruce Hodgdon named this powder 380 because 38.0 grains under a 55 gr bullet gave such good accuracy! It is a ball powder, so it meters beautifully!

The suggestion to look at a RCBS "kit" is a good one. Check into those!

Definately get some manuals. I like the new Sierra and new Nosler. Speer is pretty good. Haven't looked through the new Hornady, but liked the last edition. Lyman is good too. You can never have too many manuals...even if only loading for one cartridge. Cross check against each other.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on Lee reloading products. They make a conscious effort to keep prices
down for the reloader, and come up with the odd worthwhile product in the process.
However, they use a lot of plastic and cast metals in their production process. I tend
to give them a wide latitude. I'd rather spend the extra money and go with a mainline
product that's going to last. I don't mean to pan them. They make a good effort, but
when I think reloading I think Redding and RCBS. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the lee anniversary kit is an excellent way to get started economically. lee pacesetter die set, lee collet die set and you are ready to go. these are not redding or forrester but they will get the job done without destroying your checkbook.
alliant RL15 and hodgdon VARGET are good 250 powders. i like nosler ballistic tip bullets. i have had excellent performance with CCI primers.
there is an on going debate about digital vs balance scales! that's a matter of choice. any thing else you may need will come to you as you go along.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote