Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with this brass???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
I have two boxes of 1960s-vintage Peters .270 WCF 130-gr. Bronze Point factory loads. I've only fired one and stopped. Here's why.

After the shot, I noticed a little smoke wafting from the action. Hmmm. That's new. So, upon inspecting the spent case, I see a few longitudinal cracks running from the body, up the shoulder and into the neck. Also, just above the web, there's a little slit that has been burned through, as well.

So, what happened? In my experience, 35-40 years is not old for ammo. I was very surprised the brass gave like it did. The only thing I can come up with is that the neck has bonded with the bullet jacket to the degree that separation is delayed and the case is rupturing as a result.

So, do I pull the bullets and reload in new brass? Or, should I try a couple more to see how they fare? I'm really not inclined to go with the latter option, though.

Let me know what you think.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If you like the bullets, by all means pull them and reload 'em in new brass! Sounds to me like the brass has become brittle for some reason in storage, and won't expand properly when fired. It may have not been properly annealed after forming.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot the rifle before (with other ammo) to confirm that the chamber isn't oversized? Did the shot show any signs of excess pressure (sticky bolt lift, excess recoil, flattened primer, etc)?

You *may* want to try seating the bullet a few thousands deeper to "break" any "bonding" that may have occurred, and try again. Of course, take all safety precautions (safety glasses, and maybe a buddy pulling the trigger while you stand behind a tree... ). I've heard of bullets bonding into the case, and a simple "bump" with a reloading press will free them up.

Then again, it may be brittle brass as mentioned. In that case there's nothing to do but either pull the bullets & reload in fresh brass, or maybe find a cartridge collector that would like to put them into his collection. If they are old boxes in good shape, you may find a taker.

I'm interested in what your final outcome is, keep us posted.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You *may* want to try seating the bullet a few thousands deeper to "break" any "bonding" that may have occurred, and try again.

That's a great idea. I was probably going to have to hit them with the seater anyway to pull them. Might as well send another down the tube before actually pulling. Thanks for the mental nudge.

On a related note, I ultimately cut the case in half with a Dremel to look inside. During that operation the brass did not seem that brittle to me. We'll see, I guess.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the internet amazing?

I actually had the very same thing happen, with the very same ammunition, right before Christmas. In my case, it was a (rather briskly) blown primer that got my attention; upon examining the three that I had already fired, two showed distinct signs of blow-by on the primers. And, without even asking, I already know what to look for...

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote