Find
Notify
Tools

Figured it out.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally, I have the answer.

I've had the notion (silly in retrospect) that when I would run across things that would help the membership here with accuracy at extended ranges and share them; that you would be grateful for the knowledge. Or at least, that it would make you think.

It appears I was mistaken. Most of y'all are short range shooters, and not tinkerers and not interested in experimenting. Hunting rifle accuracy is the focus here.

My bad...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

I've had the notion (silly in retrospect) that when I would run across things that would help the membership here with accuracy at extended ranges and share them; that you would be grateful for the knowledge. Or at least, that it would make you think.

It appears I was mistaken. Most of y'all are short range shooters, and not tinkerers and not interested in experimenting. Hunting rifle accuracy is the focus here.

My bad...

Rich

Hunting rifle accuracy aside.......the shell holder "tip" regardless of the source is not a good measure of high pressure

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Many shooting ranges are 100 yards or even shorter.
Many of the post on a site where I am a Mod are shooting 50 yards.
While I run a 1,000 shooting club it is in the minority in the USA and not the norm.
Many shooters today very seldom shoot 200 yards.
They do not reload.
It is a sign of our times as many of them did not grow up learning about all facets of shooting sports.
But at least they are out and shooting.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Rich you have posted of informative info over the years. If your issue here is the case holder pressure test. Sorry most of us don't agree due to the slop between case and holder built in by manufacturing clearances. Not to mention where the expansion would have to happen.

Besides what does the distance of the shoot have to do with measuring pressure max??? Confused A 100yd shooter can have the same pressure issues as a 1000yd.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

My bad...

Rich

Hunting rifle accuracy aside.......the shell holder "tip" regardless of the source is not a good measure of high pressure

Rich, maybe the information thaat you pasted was written by guys who are using different shell holders(custom) than what we are using. Off the shelf shell holders have so much slop that they would be of little use in monitoring CHE.

I would think that someone with your experience would realize that.

Yeah, no one liked the info you pasted. That does not give you the right to be a jerk.

I would think that someone with your experience would realize that.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Jason.

I have always operated on the premise that knowledge; just as knowledge for knowledge's sake has value.

Most people do not take the time to weigh bullets or brass. I do, because I want the best ammunition I am capable of loading.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

My bad...

Rich

Not sure what compelled you to say that. And I cant speak for anyone else here. But even though my primary focus IS hunting accuracy, I also enjoy learning from guys who now appear to be shooting out beyond 1000 yds and doing it well. That is going above and beyond anything that concerns me, but I absolutely like expanding my understanding, and range! And I am very much a tinkerer. I think we are all here to share knowledge and learn Rich.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a rant.

Even the Pope gets pissed off every now and then.