THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Pocket: Recommended Sealing Product(s)
 Login/Join

<Buliwyf>
posted
Gentlemen:

What are your recommendations regarding sealing a primer pocket against moisture after handloading?

I notice factory ammunition has a red colored material around the primer pocket.

Thanks for your input.

Buliwyf

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use my girlfriends nail polish.(Laquer)
Just make sure it's the girl thats with ya's color.
Really its all the same!

Posts: 46 | Location: Topeka, KS | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
flinter6, I think thats a very dangerous practice, one false step....
Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Unless you're planning on storing the ammo for 10 years where it might be damp, or, are taking it to a really wet climate on a hunting trip, I can't imagine why you'd NEED to seal them. I have some ammo that I loaded for a 30-30 probably 25 years ago which worked fine when I fired it last year.

That said, if it makes you feel better, go for it. Cabela's offers a product, I think it's called "George & Roy's" or something like that, or, use flinter's nail polish idea.

Hey flinter, you need to use a clear polish, that way you don't have to worry about who sees it. [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sealing primer pockets is akin to paying the dealer $300 extra for "paint sealant" on your new car. It just doesn't need it.

"But the military does it!" you say.

I rest my case.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
Stonecreek, Your sense of humor is priceless!

By the way, I threw away all my lens covers for my binoculars and my scopes. I have a renewed sense of freedom not having to keep up with that useless shit anymore. Thanks.

B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nail polish. Good luck finding the word laquer on it though. I took a dozen primers or so and seated them. I then proceeded to SOAK the hell out of the primers in an out. A few with each type of polish. All fired with the same amount of noise. Good enough for me.

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote