one of us
posted
I have 600.00 to spend on a new rifle .
I cant seem to make up my mind on what brand
or cal.I have plenty of scopes already so thats
no concern.The gun would be used for hog and deer
hunting and plinking .Average range 100yards to
300yards. Any suggestions ,Iam open to any thing
and i know this is like asking who makes the best beer,But i want to know what you think or i wouldnt have asked!
reloaderlen

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Desert Rat>
posted
Ruger's

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Savage in 300 wsm

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
For those ranges and game I don't believe you need a magnum cartridge. You would have a rough time beating a Savage in a .308 Winchester. Accurate gun right out of the box at a reasonable price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger/Miller [Big Grin]

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester M70 Featherweight

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Old Model Ruger 77's (can be had for around $350 in new condition, if you can find one).

Second choice, Tikka...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know where there is a new sako AV in 30-06, no box, beautiful wood for $600, and a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H with a scope for $550. Both are rifles that one would could keep for life.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over at this site - http://www.auctionarms.com/search/SearchResults.cfm - there is a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts - that is factory new - current bid is $350 - there is a picture . This would be one fine rifle - especially if you handload - wish I had an extra $400 or so.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ 550, caliber, your choice.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<WRYFOX>
posted
I'd go with CZ as well for new in box, but for used I highly recommend a Rem VSSF or Rem Sendero. They are remarkably accurate and a great value. I generally see them for around $450 in 95% or better.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You gotta be extremely careful when you buy from any of the "auction" sites.

The Ruger you mention is currently at $350, but has 5 days left "on the block", and has a hidden reserve price.

I guarantee you that the price will be over retail by the time the seller lets it go (when you figure shipping, credit card fee, and local transfer fee).

There is a 77 listed as in "excellent" condition, and the price is outrageous! I just bought two new, in the box, Ruger 200th year 77's, one in .22-250 and another in 6mm Remington. These were flawless, and the cost was $350 each including shipping! The one listed has three very obvious dents (very large dents) on each side of the receiver in the wood, and the barrel looks as if it has been used as an anchor! The price is outrageous...$500 or more!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to give you a boring answer, but one that I think fits the bill just perfectly. I would buy a Savage chambered in .270 Win. Heck, I'll even be more "old school" and tell you that you could get one in .30-06 as an alternative choice. Heck, you could almost buy both for $600!!

I know that my recommendation isn't a prestigous gun or some zippy new magnum cartridge, but tell me that either one won't get the job done just as well since we're talking < 300 yards. You'll never have trouble finding ammo if you go on a hunt. Considering the bullets available for the .270, I just don't think you could make a better choice. I might consider a .257 Roberts if your emphasis will be on plinking or varmints, but I certainly wouldn't go any lights for hogs or deer at 300 yds. Let history be your guide...use what has proven itself in the field for decades and let the "johnny-come-lately" cartridges rise and fall in popularity.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True about the reserve and fees - but the odds are still that you could get the firearm for under $600.00 - heck you can buy them new for $682. For plinking, hogs and deer out to 300 yds I couldn't think of a better cartridge than the 257 Roberts in a Ruger #1 - this thing has a 26" barrel and handloaded can zing a 120 bullet to 2900 fps and a 100 gr to 3200 fps.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get a Ruger chambered for a .308-based cartridge. Say a .260 Rem. or 7mm-08. There are plenty of 6.5 or 7 mm bullets to choose from that are lightweight, fast shooting, have a high sectional density, and have a high BC. These would be plenty good for ranges out to 300 yards for deer etc. Recoil is relatively light for these cartridges. You can form brass from .308 cases. If you don't like either of those rounds get a .243 or a .308 (then you could shoot military surplus). And, if you buy a Ruger you get a tough gun that comes with scope rings and an integral base. That will save you $$$. I would expect to pay $400 to $450 + tax for a new Ruger (blue/wood or SS/synth) here in eastern Washington. That would leave you with money left over to by reloading components, dies, etc [Smile]

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote would be a remington mountain rifle in 280,270,708 or 3006 nice handy light well made and my .280 shoots 1 inch groups with that light little barrel Pretty to boot. Second choice would be a m77 ruger in the same calibers and add .257 roberts to the list.

[ 08-10-2002, 01:39: Message edited by: Lloyd Smale ]

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Winchester Coyote in 243 that has only had 200
rounds put through it.

It will shoot groups under a nickle with 70gr.NBT's.

I'll even throw in 2 sets of Leupold dual dovetail rings with
the matte black finish 1 in high and 1 in low, plus the bases.

Its just a little heavy for me to carry around, nothing wrong
with it what so ever.

I'm just asking $560 for it all.

hunter966

Posts: 83 | Location: gracemont, ok. U.S.A. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
Remington Model 7SS 308 Win.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Remington M700 Mountain Rifle [Big Grin]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a winch. model 70,30-06.you won't go wrong.

Posts: 54 | Location: Moosomin,Saskatchewan CANADA | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
CZ550

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
CZ550 6.5x55 or the 308

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Tikka... Great gun!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Sniper33333>
posted
I'll tell ya what, I've been reloading for many years, have gone through many guns, and through my experience I've found that the 25-06 is the best all around rifle you could ever buy. If you reload, you can't go wrong. You can reload bullets any where from 50gr. to 120 gr. bullets, to whatever suits your needs. I personally am a fan of 100gr. bullets for deer, and for hogs, I'd bump it up to 120gr. If accuracy is your main concern, it'd be awfully hard to find a more accurate round. Granted there are many accurate rounds out there, but 25-06 is the most versital. If you got coyotes on your land, 25-06 works great, perfect for deer, and could easily get the job done on hogs. I would recommend either a Savage or a Ruger for under 600. If I were to choose between the two, I'd go w/ the savage however. They may not spend money on fancy triggers or stocks, but they are sure accurate guns, I own a savage 22/250 and a 25-06 and they out perform all of the guns I've ever owned on the range. Hope this helps ya

one of us
posted Hide Post
why not purchase two used Savage rifles

one in 223 ( cheap ammo ) for plinking / varmint
one in 270 WIN or 30/06 for hunting

or purchase a Tikka in 308 WIN
low cost ammo for shooting pliking
and good premium ammo for hunting

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I vote for the Tikka..I have two! Great rifles..the best in their price range..of course everyone has an opinion. I you have never looked at one I do not think you would be disappointed.