New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me identify these shotshell wads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got these 12 gauge wads in bulk and have had them for years......I sure would like to use them but don't know the numbers......I believe they are Remington?  -

[ 06-16-2003, 20:03: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
They appear to be the Remington SP12 wad for reloading field loads with 1.25 oz of shot.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure those are Remington.

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My measurements from your photo confirms im my mind that you do have some Remington SP12 wads. Loading data is still out there for it. I have some if you need it. Hope it helps.

Scout Master 54

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made some further calculations and decided it best to give you some typical measurments so you can decide for yourself. I hazardous to speculate from a picture.

Rem SP12 Wad - dia. aprox .70" length aprox 1.61" Shot cup depth .95" (1.250 oz)

There was a short 12 ga. wad made for the old Remington "All American" hull. It had a single set of large holes like the SP wad. It measured aprox. - .70" in dia., 1.39" long with a shot cup depth of .785" (1.125 oz). This was Remington's offset to the Win. AA12-RED.

Hope it's not too confusing.

Scout Master 54

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are rem. wads I'm not sure about the green one but the white is a RP12. The sp12 is only split half way down and the rp12 is split all the way.

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, why don't you just fill the cup to the brim with shot then weigh the result, that will get you close enough to what powder charge to use.

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that the color green is significant. I've loaded enought RXP12 over the years and can tell you that Remington molded them in white & green. I have some of them currently in factory labeled bags. Good idea, fill them with #8's and see what it holds.

Scout Master 54