Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

digital scale and powder dispenser
 Login/Join

posted
I am seriously thinking of purchasing one of these and want some first hand information from those WHO HAVE USED THEM. I know a number of guys have a bias for the beam scale and I respect this however I would like to go digital and thinking of the whole system when I do. The wife wanted a gift idea and what do you get a guy who has most of what he needs? You reach for something you wouldn't necessarily buy for yourself but would like. John

Posts: 5 | Location: mich. | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Santa brought me a Lyman 1200 DPS last Christmas. Works flawless and is accurate to .10 gr. I use it constantly.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Start readin!! I've got the Lyman 1200 DPSII, but if I were buying one now, I'd go for the RCBS Chargemaster, it's faster and easier to clean, costs a bit more, though.

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Best price I've seen on it is $240 at Natchez, but they're out right now...

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=product...792&CFTOKEN=97494052

It's $280 at Midsouth and Sinclair.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have the Chargemaster, Great machine, Fast, no warm up, takes 30sec. to calibrate and very accurate..every thing I wanted.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with my Lyman 1200. It does require a 30 minute warmup, but that's not a problem since there are earlier stages in the reloading process that eat up that time.
Once you get in the rythym of having it measure your powder loads, you seat the bullet in between each measurment and knock the final portion of the loading process out very easily.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman 1200 DPS and I would go with "wrongtarget" on this one. The Lyman is slow by comparison and it is a booger to clean. Other than that, it works great and is very accurate. My friend has the RCBS and I know that it is better from the standpoint of speed of throwing charges and ease of cleaning.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
Start readin!! I've got the Lyman 1200 DPSII, but if I were buying one now, I'd go for the RCBS Chargemaster, it's faster and easier to clean, costs a bit more, though.

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Best price I've seen on it is $240 at Natchez, but they're out right now...

This is supposed to be humour, so please take it as such...

Speaking of pricing, one day in a gun shop with which I was associated, a guy came in and asked "What are you guy's gettin' for 10-22's?"

"$149.95", we answerd. "Holy Chr--!", he exclaimed, "XX-Mart sells them for $109.95!"

"So why don't you buy one there,?", we asked.

"Because they don't have any in stock right now", he countered.

"Well, shoot", the store owner said..."When I don't have any, I sell them for $69.50........"

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to get away from the original inquiry in this thread -- but I have a question:

Folks claim the Lyman 1200 DPS is in some way hard to clean/change powder. I have not the same experience(s). I normally change powders 3 or more times during each reloading session. What makes the Lyman so difficult - for other users - to operate so far as changing powder/cleaning?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 Lymans. The first one started giving funky readings whenever I was using my cell phone while it ran - I tested it several times it was for real. My second one worked fine for about 3 weeks and then went completely tit's up.
I bought an RCBS combo from Natchez. It's easier to clean, much faster and hasn't broken yet. It's the one to buy.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lyman isn't hard to clean, it just takes longer due to all the nooks and crannies, compared to the RCBS Chargemaster. Mine works great, no problems at all cept for gettin a kernel of powder tween the scale pad and housing, kinda screws with the readings, but easy to fix once you're on to it. I got mine for less than $200 delivered, so that was a given at the time, but the RCBS looks like the best bet from readin the review.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the new upgraded PACT combo and it has been fast and accurate every time. I can't imagine being without it on the bench now.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all RCBS equipment including the 2 digital scalesm Chargemaster and digital calipers. In my older age I have learned that the digital units have another advantage - they are so much easier on my eyes. I concur with all of the other reasons mentioned earlier.

You will love the digital equipment.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eexcuse my stupid question, I´m going to ask it anyway:

With my dispenser (normal handcranked version) I put the primed shell under the dispenser and the powder spills directly into the shell. This is easy.

How do you load the powder into the shell with the digital models? Is it thrown from the dispenser onto a tray and then manually through a funnel or...?

I´m no genius at practical things.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
How do you load the powder into the shell with the digital models? Is it thrown from the dispenser onto a tray and then manually through a funnel or...?

Correct. The dispenser feeds the charge into a pan which sits on the scale. The charge is completed when the scale registers the charge weight required. The pan is then removed from the scale, and the charge transferred to case via a funnel.

This is slower than charging directly into the case from a powder measure. However, most powder measures only work for powders with small "kernels" - forget the extruded powders like IMR7828. So the electronic dispensers stepped into this niche, and originally they only worked with powders with large kernels. I believe (not sure, I have an older RCBS/PACT dispenser), that newer electronic dispensers will work with small as well as large kerneled powders??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my RCBS works fine with H335, I have never tried a Ball type with it though.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elkman and other owners of the new RCBS Chargemaster combination: what voltage is used for dispenser and scale?? In the old RCBS/PACT dispenser/scale one device uses AC and the other DC (I forget which one is which). Is that still the case with the new device??

If you could be bothered to look at and report the output voltages and type of your (external - I assume?) powersupply, I'd be much obliged.

Reason: I have yet to see a new Chargemaster offfered for 220V on any of the US reloading supply websites. So I was wondering whether the new device (in US 110 V form) would work with the external powersupplies for the old RCBS/PACT dispenser/scale??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that some of the new digital dispensers sometimes tend to "clog" or get into a bind around the trickling tube when using the finer ball type powders such as H-110. This has not happend to my Lyman. (and I hope it does not because I load a lot of .45 Colt). This may hopefully be one of the improvements in these dispensers as the product evolution continues to improve.

Looks like we are generally looking at the Chargemaster in this thread, and not having any direct knowdedge of this popular dispenser, an indirect answer to the power supply inquiry -- the Lyman uses a 120VAC transformer that steps down the supply voltage to 15VAC at 350mA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS is available in 110v or 220v models..

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, wrongtarget. I also see the 220V models here in Europe - problem is, they cost about 2-3 times what US Internet reloading suppliers charge. So I'll try to find one from the US and have it shipped over. That is what I've done with my present dispenser (and lots of other gear). Problem is: thus far, none of the US reloading suppliers offer this particular model in 220V - yet (?). Buying directly from RCBS is a bit expensive....

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms sells the 220V for $280, I've done business with them, they're good to deal with.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4903.html

http://www.buffaloarms.com/shipping.htm

Midway International also sells it, for more but shipping may be less, dunno for sure.

http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=454722

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrontarget, you are a scholar and a gentleman! You are either very handy with google, or happened to know where you could get one. I'm suitably impressed! Just goes to show: there is never a question that can't be answered on AR Smiler

Thanks for that!

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I just shop a lot on the internet and as you guessed, know how to use Google.

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more bit of info for cochran:

The Lyman has a selector switch on the underside that can be set to 240V at 50Hz. I believe this will accomodate some of the other country's power supplies.

Which ever digital dispensor you choose, you will eventually realize "how did I ever load without one of these things?"

In the meantime -- Merry Christmas to all and the best holiday season ever. I'm looking forward to another great year with the Accurate Forums.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a chargemaster last nite in 220v at midway usa.

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote