New
Find
Notify
Tools

sierra gameking hpbt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone have any experience with sierra 140gr hpbt from a 270wsm?

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep! Quite a bit I might say. I have found them to be accurate and very good on game. I've shot some pretty big stuff with them with good results. Sub MOA out of the 2 .270 WSM's I've set them up for. I like this bullet a lot. I find it to be tough, pretty damn accurate, and deadly. It doesn't blow big exits like some might think, and has great penetration IME.

Give em a whirl!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how big are the exit holes I still want a good blood trail if I make a bad shot I'll being using them on whitetail and had heard of some people having jacket core seperation

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The stories you refer to "might" concern the Sierra GK SP, which has the reputation of being soft (I use them a lot however and never had one come apart, even on 330 lbs Red stags). OTOH, the GK HP is a tough magnum bullet intended for higher speeds. As an added bonus both SP and HP are interchangeable in terms of handloading and shoot to the same POI.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've heard great things about this bullet, but have never tried it. i have used the sierra gameking and i believe that reports of jacket separation are mostly the result of asking the bullet to do things it wasn't designed to do, such as pushing a normal- or light-for-caliber bullet out of a magnum-velocity rifle..

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
I use Sierra's GKHP to reload my new 300 Win Mag. Accuracy is good, next season I'll try this for hunting. I'm sure I'll have great sotisfaction with this bullet.

Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elmo,

Like Fish's & André's expereinces - similar to my own. I've nothing but good results for Sierra's .308" 165 gr. HPBT Game Kings, accuracy, speed & more than adequate penetration on game.

It and Nosler BT's are the bullets I usually start with when loading new cartridges in .308", pretty much sets the tone for accuracy IMO - if they won't shoot right off the bat then there's normally another issue involved.

Would imagine that Speer's .270" bullets in the same configuration would be pretty much more of the same thing.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote