Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.400H&H
 Login/Join

posted
Wondering if I can get some information on this round.

I'm currently waiting for a barrel which will go on a ZKK 602 I have.

I have the dies and brass but being in Australia, the brass was hard to get and very expensive.

I intend leaving the head stamped brass for when I go OS but would like to know which is the best way to go for resizing? .375 or ?

Also would appreciate a starting load to work on. I have the 400g Woodleighs.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 6 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Try a PM to Doubless. He's having a custom build in that caliber made up. (He likes cast boolits.)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Poss.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1977 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Zephyr also has one.

CEB also made a run of bullets for this. Not sure how easy they are to get into Australia though.

Good luck.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Welcome Poss.

Cheers, Chris

Thanks mate.

Thanks BN and BB.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zephyr also has one

tu2 I've done a number of QL runs for him on various loads. He should then have some real results.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poss ...Sorry I missed this one..
The 400 is a great cartridge and has become a go-to rifle for just about everything..
I first saw this cartridge at SCI at the Dakota booth, Gulf Breeze a Dakota dealer in Florida was pushing the cartridge and sold quite a few rifles chambered in 400H&H. They tried very hard to get Barnes to produce commercial rounds for them but Barnes bowed out at the last minute. I have had the pleasure to meet with Russel Wilkin of H&H who created the cartridge for H&H a few times at the SCI show very interesting to talk to him about the hows and whys.
This rifle has been a tack driver liking anything I've put in it and seems to be very soft shooting in the process compared to Rem 416s that I've shot.
Brass..
Quality Cartridge has brass
http://www.qual-cart.com/index.htm
You can also resize .375H&H brass very easily, I ran mine through my re-sizing die and shot them.. bit of a wrinkle from the old shoulder but cleaned up when they were shot using reduced loads.

Primers...
Used magnum primers

Powders..
You are in luck as most of the powders I used were Hodgons Powders same as your ADI
H4895.....AR2206H
Varget....AR2208

Bullets..
Be careful as many of the bullets built for diameters of .410 and .411 are made for the 450-400 and the Win 405 they are designed to perform at reduced velocities and will come apart at 400H&H velocities.
I stuck with .411 dia bullets you could shoot .410 dia but I needed to invest in a collet die as my die set did not give me proper neck tension with the 410 bullets..
Barnes 300gr TSX using H4895 AR2206H we are getting velocities up to 2700fps shot 2 elk with this combo.
Barnes also produced a 400gr TSX when they were attempting to work up commercial loads, Gulf Breeze bought the bulk of them plus Barnes' head stamped brass.
Hornady 300gr BTSP this bullet was designed for the Win 405, makes for a great Varmint load at velos of 2600-2700fps this bullet turns into a grey mist at impact also an affordable practice round.
CEB..
I had them turn 370gr Raptors and 400gr Solids for my African trip was able to work up a load using Varget, AR2208 pushing the 400g load at 2400fps and the 370gr load at 2460fps. This last gave me a one shot kill on a Cape Buff in 2012.
North Fork
Had a run of 360gr SP bought a few boxes but they seem to have removed them from their web site..
Swift..
Found a couple of boxes of Swift AFrames in 350grs
Hawk Bullets
http://www.hawkbullets.com/
Makes a variety of weights these are traditional cup and core bullets...
Woodliegh
They made some velocity appropriate bullets they are out there Gulf Breeze has some and I believe that Superior Ammo has some ...

COAL..
Dakota working with H&H reamed their chambers for a coal of 3.540 using Woodliegh bullets this is what I reamed my chamber for. The CEB bullets being that they are bore riding bullets I seated them out to 3.60 using the magazine box to determine the COAL to get a bit more space for powder. Since you have some one reaming your chamber for you, you have the option to make the chamber to any length you want.
Best of luck with your 400H&H PM me if you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them..

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Zephyr,

We still do make .411-360 SS. We are updating parts of the website and it may have gotten missed.

Regards,
John

North Fork Technologies
www.northforkbullets.com

Posts: 158 | Location: Philomath, Oregon | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shame you are in OZ, I just bought five boxes of the old NORMA Cylindrical brass. Just FL size and get to shooting.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help fella's.

Zephyr, I've been meaning to PM you but have been away.

Sounds like the Woodleighs pills I got (450-400) won't be good enough hey?

Thanks for the kind offer IS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the info from Woodliegh's web site notice the working velocities for the 450-400 1800-2200fps the bullet will not behave as advertised at 2400fps all so at a diameter of .408 it will be tough to get proper neck tension unless you have a collet die..

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make brass from 300 H&H, 375 H&H, 416 Rem, and 8mm mag. cases. Any full length belted case...

I never really understood the thinking of the 400 H&H when we have the .416 Rem. Holland just had to be different I suppose and that's no great surprise.

But its certainly a nice caliber for a .40 and like most 40s its a 400 gr. bullet at 2400 FPS and that's a proven load for all that walks.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got the No 40's in the catalogue.

On the box it says "450-400 Nitro RNSN" and they are .411.

Impact vel 1800-2200.

So at what distance would they be going 2200 in your load Zephyr?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ballistic program says roughly 75 yards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess you'll have to stalk backwards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of a 400H&H loaded with a 400grn Hawk Bullet next to a 375H&H loaded with a 300grn Barnes. (Sorry about the lack of photo skills)...

Looks like a smaller 404J with a belt

Why Holland made it in a .411 dia when there are so many good .416 bullets out there is a good question other than Holland being Holland. I had an opportunity to ask Russell Wilkin why he made the neck so long and his response was he did not want the base of the bullet extending into the body of the cartridge.. (lots and lots of great cartridges with short necks) A little shorter neck and a bit more powder would have improved this cartridge's potential tenfold.. As it is, it has been exceptional, less pressure generated than a 416 Rem with a 400grn bullet and at 5000lbs of energy at the muzzle it is what one expects out of a .40 caliber class rifle...
It's biggest deterrent is it is a handloaders cartridge with no SAAMI data.
I sometimes ask my self why this cartridge with .416 caliber Rigby's, Remington's and Taylors out there.. The best answer I can give myself like so many of us gun cranks is why not.
Enjoy your shoot PM anytime..

posted Hide Post
Sent you a message Zephyr.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I have enough trouble stalking forwards let alone back! Smiler