Find
Notify
Tools

300 Remington Ultra Mag
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

I have started load development for this cartridge. The rifle is a Remington Sendero Stainless, Fluted, Synthetic stock. It has a 26" barrel. We installed a Leupold 4.5-14 X scope on it.

We have completed our load development. You can find it at

www.accuratereloading.com/300rum.html

I've had a few emails asking about how we do our load development in details.

I thought it might be a good idea to use this one as an example.

We received the rifle last year. I took it off the stock to adjust the trigger and check the bedding.

The stock had the aluminum bedding block, so there was very little I could do to improve its contact with the action. There were a few rough pots, which I smoothed out.

The trigger was adjusted to about 2.5 pounds. A Leupold 4.5-14 scope was installed in Leupold bases and rings.

The barrel was thoroughly cleaned using a combination of Hoppe's #9, Sweet 7.62 and J-B Compound. This barrel was not too bad to get cleaned at all.

When we received our brass - about 300 cases - the first thing we do is run them through a full length sizing die, then trim them to uniform length, uniform the primer pockets and clean up any burrs that might be found in the flash hole.

After this we weigh them all, and segregate them by weight. These were not too bad at all, as most were around 269-271 grains. There were a few outside these weights.

We generally try to keep all cases for any rifle within one grain of each other.

I seperated 30 case to use for this load development.

I loaded 5 rounds and used them to sight in the scope. Cleaning the barrel after each shot.

I loaded 3 each of the loads mentioned above, and fired them. Cleaning the barrel every 15 rounds.

I found there is a definite increase in the copper fouling when using the Barnes X bullets than when using the Sierra 165 grain bullets.

After all 30 case are empty, we resize them, trim them, uniform the primer pockets, and load them again.

There you have it. A very simple oparation.

Normally, if we are developing loads for a small cartridge, we have a lot of offers to shoot them.

Once we get into the "ginormous" case size, which apparently this one is, everyone seems to find other things to do to avoid shooting it.

Which means it is all left up to me to do all the shooting. So if some of the groups you see above are not too good, you are welcome to attribute it me flinching

The above groups, from left are 0.388; 0.221; 0.236 and 0.592.

Loada are 88.0; 89.5; 91.0 and 92.0 H1000 with the Sierra 220 MK.

[This message has been edited by Saeed (edited 08-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Saeed (edited 09-04-2001).]

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
How about some RL 22 and 25 with some 220 and 240gr Match King's.

------------------
My wife told me if I buy another gun she would leave me.I hope the door does not hit her on the way out!!!!!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Boyd,

Welcome to the forum.

I am going to work my way through different bullet weights.

150 BT are next, followed by Sierra's 165 SPBT, then 180 Barnes X, then the MKs.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
mine is the 700bdlss.it shoots the 150 gameking at 3611 with 96 gr rl22 and avgs. in the .6s.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
I have shot 180gr Partition's. 190gr and 220gr Match King's.The powder's I've used are H-870 RL22 and RL25.91.5gr of RL25 has given me three shot group's in the .4 inch range with an ave velocity of 3102 with the 220gr MK'S.RL22 seem's to be more accurate across the board.But is a little slower.My gun is a Sendero also so I'm am Very interested to see if my data will match your's.Thank you Saeed.I'll be waiting.

------------------
My wife told me if I buy another gun she would leave me.I hope the door does not hit her on the way out!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, really looking forward to your results and seeing how it develops as I have been playing with same. Two questions if I may?
1) are there any mods youl have done to the rifle i.e. bedding, trigger etc?
2) what resizing method will you be using full-length or neck bushing type?

One tip I might offer since your going to be shooting this gun a lot. (I know your a big-bore guy but I find the thing fatiguing after >20 rounds). The factory synthetic stock has a cavity that nicely holds approx. 3 lbs of #9 shot for load development work. I found that it balances the gun out nicely as well. Good Shooting!!

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<txhunter>
posted
Saeed
You say that you have two 27cal cartridges based on the 404. A 270 Dakota and a 270/404 based on the full length case. I'm intrested in the full length version and was wondering if you might share the load data that you've collected? What make barrel and how long?

The reason I ask is I'm having a 270/300 RUM built and could use a little help in the load department. I figured on using some surplus WC872, H870, and or AA8700.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ultraman,

I have not done any moifications to the rifle at all. I just smoothed a few rough spots on the aluminum bedding block, and adjusted the trigger for a smooth let off.

I am using an RCBS full sizing die.

The recoil from this rifle is not bad at all. Also, there is a period of time between each 3 shot groups I fire. As I am doing all the shooting here in our lab, I fire 3 shots, then load 3 more and then fire again.

This gives the barrel a few minutes to cool down, and my shoulder to recover too

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

one of us
posted Hide Post
[

I am going to work my way through different bullet weights.

150 BT are next, followed by Sierra's 165 SPBT, then 180 Barnes X, then the MKs.

[/B][/QUOTE]
And then the 338, i hope!!!!

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Rem 700 BDL-LSS 88.5gr of IMR-7828 and 180 Scirrocco with fed 215br caps. 3265 fps and groups under 1" at 200 yds!

------------------
"If guns are outlawed...only outlaws will have guns!

"We should not say the Greeks fight like heroes. We should say that heroes fight like Greeks"... Winston Churchill

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
460Wby,

Yes sir we have a 338RUM and a 375 is on the way.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed.
Don't mind me!! I know you'll come to that later.
(it was a bad joke!)
No hard feelings!!!!
Still friends i hope.

------------------

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
460Wby,

We had a Swedish pilot here in Dubai a while back, and he used to tell us all sorts of jokes about the Norwegians.

I just wondered if there is any truth to those stories?

He gave me a small wall clock that goes BACKWARDS, saything it was a Norwegian clock.

Once he came in here with a toy pistol, with the barrel pointing backwards towards the shooter, he said that was a Norwegian pistol!

If you have any jokes about the Swedes, please share some with us.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed.
If you speak to a Norwegian you'll probably hear the same bad jokes about the Sweeds. I'm sorry but i can't remember any just now.
We and the Swedish are always in a friendly "war" with each other.

------------------

Arild.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Saeed,
Thanks for the data. It will come in handy whenever I get around to reloading for these cartridges. Your site is greatly appreciated for the honesty and objectivity that can shine forth here. Now, get back to work generating data, please!

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Saeed,
I forgot to mention, that I own a 300 RUM rifle identical to the one you are working up loads in, including the choice of scope. I am honored to have made the same choice of rifle and scope combo as Bwana Saeed.

I have the light barreled Model 700 in 338 RUM.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classic Synthetic in 300 RUM that I want to rebarrel to 375 RUM. Then I would like to build a walnut and blue 375 RUM with a CZ 550 Magnum action that was to become a 585 Nyati. Nevermore will I consider the 585 Nyati. Wisdom of advancing years.

I will make do with Remington Brass, unless Norma starts making it available headstamped for the 300, 338, and 375 RUM.

With a pair of 375 RUM's I will feel like a prince in any game field. One load for anything, near or far, large or small. Two guns to fire that one load. The Winchester will have a 26" barrel, and the CZ will have a 23" barrel.

Does this concept sound vaguely familiar?

------------------
RAB

<30 cal>
posted
165 grainer at 3748fps I just did the calculating equals 5145 ft/lbs of energy. Saeed congratulations you just smoked .30-378 factory loads by 248 fps and 657 ft/lbs with a case that holds 20 grains less powder! Can't wait to see how your 180 grain loads compare!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
RAB,

I can see another "boring" hunter in the making here!

I also have a 338 RUM just like yours. The 375 is supposed to be on the way.

30 Cal.

I just looked at my data for teh 30-378 Weatherby, and found that maximum I got with the 165 grain bullet was 3410 fps.

I diod not try this powder in it though. That load was with H1000.

I still believe a bigger case would give you higher velocity if you use the right powder. I might go and try that 30-378 again with other powders.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

<Pumba>
posted
Saeed,

I am sorry if you have already posted the data for the 300 RUM that I am going to ask you about, but, have you done any work with either a 200 grain Nosler Partition, a 200 grain Swift A-Frame, or a 200 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw?

Good Hunting !

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Saeed: please, please, we are eager to hear about the 180 grains data. Hope to break or surpass the 3300 fps barrier ??

Good luck!

PS: this data may lead to a very nice discussion on efficiency, say against the old .300 Win Mag in 24" barrels. Mine is getting 3230 fps

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really look's like you have "opened a box of worms" here, Saeed.
But i am very thankful that you are doing this researches for us!!

------------------

Arild.

<Don G>
posted
Saeed,

How is the brass standing up to the max loads? I hear rumblings of poor brass quality in the RUMs, what is that all about? Is it too soft, too small, eccentric -- what?

Don

<Eric Leonard>
posted
i have been trying to tell yall for nearly a year that this thing smokes.
on the thread about the 500 yard antelope load i gave up.if you look at saeeds numbers above and still think it is not far superior to the win mag then your blind.
you still have to make the shot,but with a 165 going 3750 range estimation is far less critical.

<Brian,Pa>
posted
Saeed,I have had good results with the new rl 25,and the 180 grain bal. tips,in my sendero,will you be trying this combo,my chrony gives me between 3475 and 3500 fps. with a [max] load of 97.6 grs. of powder.Has me wondering if my chrony is right or not,and what kind of presure this has,thanks for all the loading info

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don,

The brass seems to be of very good quality - unlike the normal offerings from Remington.

I am using 30 case for all my tests, and have not lost a single one yet. There is no sign of any primer pockets becoming loose either.

Brian,

I am afraid we do not have any equipment to test for pressure. I just use the old rule of thump of signs of any pressure. So far no problems at all.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntamerica.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000809

------------------
"If she won't shoot MOA or better... out she goes!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impressive!

Moving it up!

mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
460Wby,
Pardon my intrusion but this was too good to pass up.

I worked for a Swede in the early 60s in the tool and die trade. Palmer Carlson is the one that coined this phrase "There was ten tousan svedes runnin true the veeds chased by one lousy Norvegion". He was quit proud of it even though he was a "svede". Ol Crip

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY (Of course Saeed doesn't have that problem.) Today everybody gets the rasberries.

We had a Swedish pilot here in Dubai a while back, and he used to tell us all sorts of jokes about the Norwegians.

I just wondered if there is any truth to those stories?

He gave me a small wall clock that goes BACKWARDS, saything it was a Norwegian clock.

Once he came in here with a toy pistol, with the barrel pointing backwards towards the shooter, he said that was a Norwegian pistol!

If you have any jokes about the Swedes, please share some with us.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

This rifle has drawn its first blood today!

For the past couple of days I have not had the chance to shoot it to finish the load development, so a friend has kindly offered to carry on.

I am afraid he did not get very far. I was out working on the lathe when he was shooting. Apparently he fired one round and had his eyes too close to the scope! He got himself a nice half moon cut in his eye brow.

He came out to the garage where I was working, and had a small towell on his face, covered in blood.

We knew what happned as soon as we saw him, and as usual with the boys here, no sympathy was shown to him.

The best comment I heared was "when the brain is dead. The body suffers!"

I am going to try and finish these in the next couple of days.

We have already finished shooting the 200 grain Sierra MK. 220 and 240 MK are next.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best comment I heared was "when the brain is dead. The body suffers!"

Thats a good one, Saeed. I know I can get some miles out of that one around here.

Tell me I am not seeing things. A Sierra 200MK @ 3300fps!!! WOW! and OUCH! I sympathize with your replacement shooter.

Not bad groups either.

Regards,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Saeed I got a few ?'s.What c.o.l are you using with the 220 MK's.And how many time's have you had to pound the bolt open with a BIG HAMMER.LoL!!!!!!1

------------------

<Eric Leonard>
posted
i read somewhere if you wasnt living on the edge you was taking up too much room.
i load for an ultra also,and while some of those loads would be hot in my gun i dont think they would be dangerous.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
OKAY, OKAY,
You guys are driving me nuts!
I've got to get a scope on my .300RUM.

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

<Eric Leonard>
posted
Saeed,hows the throat holding up on your gun?i havent fired mine but 120 times.i clean it about every 20 rounds and try not to get it too hot.
i couldnt reach the rifilings with 165s when it was new and still fit the magazine but could loading singles. the oal hasnt gotten any longer yet but that is just 120 through it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Boyd,

All the bullets - regardless of weight - have been loaded to 3.600".

So far we have not had to hammer the bolt open. Funny enough, I've had a few emails asking about these loads, suggesting that they might be overloads.

I think I will just quote my answer here.

"I think you are probably right about this load being a bit hot. It seems to be fine in this rifle though.

I started off with 30 case, and they are still in good shape.

We were actually discussing this very subject a couple of days ago, as we compared our results for the 30-378 Weatherby. For all intent and purposes, the 30-378 Weatherby SHOULD give us higher velocity, but we seem to have gotten less than from this one.

As we do not have any means of measuring the pressure of our loads, we look for any sign of pressure from several angles. Like flattened primers, hard bolt lift, loose primer pockets and so on.

I honestly do not remember how many rifles I have developed loads for, if it is not in 4 figures already, it is getting close to it. One thing I have learned from this is that no two rifles are alike. I've had rifles that would lock their bolt solid with factory ammo. I've shot factory ammo in some rifles that showed absolutely no sign of pressure, but as soon as we got the case out, the primers are so loose they fall out of the case. I've had rifles chambered for medium size case - 243, 308 - that had maximum loads deferring by 6 grains!

As you probably know, there is a lot more to reloading than just picking some one's data and copying. I do have another 2 rifles here for this cartridge. I might try some of these loads in them and see how they work out. I will post the results when I am finished."

Eric,

There is some errosion for about 0.030 just ahead of the chamber. We have fired about 180 rounds through this rifle so far.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

<Eric Leonard>
posted
thanx for the info on the rl19 and 150s.i have been using rl22 with 150 gamekings and the groups are great with 96 gr at 3611 but start opening up before i get pressure signs.i am going to try them with the rl19 next week to see how it does in mine.in my opinion every couple hundred feet a second counts.

<Sandy>
posted
Saeed,
Any indication on throat erosion with the large powder charges?

<C.H>
posted
quote:
Gentlemen,

I have started load development for this cartridge. The rifle is a Remington Sendero Stainless, Fluted, Synthetic stock. It has a 26" barrel. We installed a Leupold 4.5-14 X scope on it.

The following loads were all with the Nosler ballistic Tip 125 grain bullet, molly coated, VVN 165 powder and the Federal 215 primers in Remington brass. All groups are 3 shots at 100 yards.

95.0 3425 1.222
96.5 3498 0.441
98.0 3640 0.584
99.5 3704 0.894
101.0 3842 0.761
102.5 3950 0.963
104.0 3972 1.334

All the following are with the Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip, same primers and brass as above, and Reloader 19.

88.0 3257 0.346
89.5 3345 0.433
91.0 3396 0.552
92.5 3441 0.759
94.0 3499 0.451
95.5 3608 1.012
97.0 3695 0.837
98.5 3737 0.622
100.0 3874 1.225

The following loads are with the Sierra 165 HPBT bullet, and Reloader 22.

90.0 3281 0.633
91.5 3324 0.686
93.0 3372 1.288
94.5 3449 0.392
96.0 3535 0.546
97.5 3652 0.384
99.0 3678 0.708
100.5 3748 1.734

The following loads are with the Barnes XBT 180 grain bullet. As this is probably the bullet weight most people would use, I will try several powders.

The last four loads do not show group size, as I have not got the paper back from the tunnel yet. I will shoot a few more groups on it tomorrow and post the details.

With Alliant Reloader 22

88.0 3183 1.304
89.5 3271 0.858
91.0 3314 0.672
92.5 3375 0.487
94.0 3466 1.995

With Vivtavuori N165

88.0 3156 1.531
89.5 3254 0.737
91.0 3290 0.815
92.5 3342 0.830
94.0 3437 0.529

With Hodgdon 1000

93.0 3234 0.569
94.5 3336 1.358
96.0 3361 1.238
97.5 3436 1.222

The following are with Sierra 200 Match King and Hodgdon H1000.

88.0 3024 0.515
89.5 3120 0.442
91.0 3154 0.704
92.5 3193 0.767
94.0 3277 0.388
95.5 3306 0.650

With Hodgdon H870

90.0 2755 0.526
92.0 2798 0.789
94.0 2881 0.905
96.0 2917 0.953
98.0 2990 0.525
100.0 3058 0.319
102.0 3171 0.831

The following loads are with the Sierra 220 MK bullet.

H1000

85.0 2791 0.414
86.5 2861 0.539
88.0 2908

Next is going to be the Sierra 240 MK.

I've had a few emails asking about how we do our load development in details.

I thought it might be a good idea to use this one as an example.

We received the rifle last year. I took it off the stock to adjust the trigger and check the bedding.

The stock had the aluminum bedding block, so there was very little I could do to improve its contact with the action. There were a few rough pots, which I smoothed out.

The trigger was adjusted to about 2.5 pounds. A Leupold 4.5-14 scope was installed in Leupold bases and rings.

The barrel was thoroughly cleaned using a combination of Hoppe's #9, Sweet 7.62 and J-B Compound. This barrel was not too bad to get cleaned at all.

When we received our brass - about 300 cases - the first thing we do is run them through a full length sizing die, then trim them to uniform length, uniform the primer pockets and clean up any burrs that might be found in the flash hole.

After this we weigh them all, and segregate them by weight. These were not too bad at all, as most were around 269-271 grains. There were a few outside these weights.

We generally try to keep all cases for any rifle within one grain of each other.

I seperated 30 case to use for this load development.

I loaded 5 rounds and used them to sight in the scope. Cleaning the barrel after each shot.

I loaded 3 each of the loads mentioned above, and fired them. Cleaning the barrel every 15 rounds.

I found there is a definite increase in the copper fouling when using the Barnes X bullets than when using the Sierra 165 grain bullets.

After all 30 case are empty, we resize them, trim them, uniform the primer pockets, and load them again.

There you have it. A very simple oparation.

Normally, if we are developing loads for a small cartridge, we have a lot of offers to shoot them.

Once we get into the "ginormous" case size, which apparently this one is, everyone seems to find other things to do to avoid shooting it.

Which means it is all left up to me to do all the shooting. So if some of the groups you see above are not too good, you are welcome to attribute it me flinching

The above groups, from left are 0.388; 0.221; 0.236 and 0.592.

Loada are 88.0; 89.5; 91.0 and 92.0 H1000 with the Sierra 220 MK.

[This message has been edited by Saeed (edited 08-30-2001).]

Thanks for the work you posted this will help me out greatly , if you ever test the 7mm ultra post a.s.a.p

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have posted what data we have so far on the Reloading section.

www.accuratereloading.com/300rum.html

We are planning to shoot the Sierra 240 MK bullet, and I will add that as I finish with it.

Not today, though, I am going to play golf.

And just in case some of you ask, no I am not very good at it, neither is my friend who plays with me.

When we started we thought the higher score one gets was the better. Well, they told us that is not correct for golf, so we devised our own scoring system. It is really very simple, even golfers can understand it.

First we looked at our scores, and what is acceptable by "real" golfers. So we allowed ourselves 12 points for each hole, regardless of what par they are.

Now we have 216 points. We normally score in 130-140 range, so we deduct this from 216, we then deduct our handicap - in this instance it is 28, and we arrive a decent score that golfers can understand.

The other day, I had a great game, and scored 120 on the course, so taking this out of 216 we get a 96, and taking off 28 out of this gave me a final score of 68.

Now we have no poblems when someone asks about our scores.

The funny part is we never seem to have any shortage of people wanting to join our game!

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Saeed,
Golf is not one of my afflictions. "A man has got to know his limitations." (A guote from Dirty Harry.)

Thanks for the data. I will keep updating my hard copy of your reloading pages, one of the best sources of data around. You ought to publish it in book form some day.

------------------
RAB