New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brand primers and why??
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

Just getting into reloading for pistol. .32 S&W Long / .45 colt / .45ACP / 9MM / .38

What brand primers do you like to use and why do you choose them?

I've been reloading for my shotguns for years and have had good luck with Winchester 209's

Thanks in advance

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Federal primers for all applications when I can find them. Why, simply, they work. Never had a FTF with Federals.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use winchester, CCI and federal. I have never had a failure that was the primers fault. I once seated a few too far out. The first firing pin trip pushed it in further to the case and the second pop set it off.

Now I seat firmly and have never had an issue.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i like WLR or standard. i have tightened up group when i changed to this primer and i like CCI-250

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rudyc:
Hello,

Just getting into reloading for pistol. .32 S&W Long / .45 colt / .45ACP / 9MM / .38

I've been reloading for my shotguns for years and have had good luck with Winchester 209's

Thanks in advance

rudyc

Rudy,

All bullshit aside, I load/have loaded for all the rounds you have mentioned. Primers from any of the major manufactures will work just fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I have chosen Federal Primers for all my reloading. I use Match primers for all my rifle reloading.

I was doing some load development about 20 years ago, and tried different brands of primers to see how it affected accuracy. It just seemed easier to find THE load for a rifle when I used Federal Match Primers, so I stopped searching.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
When I was shooting Bullseye I used Federal primers. Now I use Winchester for handguns and rifles. Got a great buy at Powder Valley and number of years ago.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
I use Federal primers for all applications when I can find them. Why, simply, they work. Never had a FTF with Federals.

Ditto!
Since Federal Primers are now hard to come by, I've been buying Winchester primers which seem to deliver very good accuracy. But, I've only been using them for about 6 months, since my stash of Federal Primers got used up. I'm hoping the Winchesters will keep me going till Federals return.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Remington primers (usually) for all my straight-walled pistol cartridges. They were the least expensive. And, since I'm not a competitive shooter, a smidge better accuracy doesn't mean squat to me. When the Rems are used up, I'll switch to my CCI's, which were the next least expensive. When they're used up, I'll switch to my Winchesters, then to my Federals.

I don't notice any accuracy difference between any of them. They all function perfectly through my Dillon SDB and RL550B. Of course, I match magnum primers with big case fulls of powder in big cases like 44 S&W magnum or 45 Colt.(I don't load wimpy cowboy loads.)

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I stick with Rem, Win, Fed and, sometimes, CCI. Specific c hoice is based on which shoots best in a given cartridge but for handguns it rarely matters.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
I have chosen Federal Primers for all my reloading. I use Match primers for all my rifle reloading.

I was doing some load development about 20 years ago, and tried different brands of primers to see how it affected accuracy. It just seemed easier to find THE load for a rifle when I used Federal Match Primers, so I stopped searching.

+1. I started with Winchester primers when I began reloading b/c they were cheaper. After about 5 years, I tried some Remingtons and had terrible luck with misfires and accuracy. Then someone suggested the Federals. I've been using them nearly 99% of the time ever since.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Since Federal Primers are now hard to come by, I've been buying Winchester primers which seem to deliver very good accuracy. But, I've only been using them for about 6 months, since my stash of Federal Primers got used up. I'm hoping the Winchesters will keep me going till Federals return.

DMB, I will be driving through Grayling on the 7th of February heading north on my wolf hunt. If you want some Federal primers I can bring some for you. I have 215s, 215Ms, 210Ms. I can part with some if you would like them.

I'll also send you a PM.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Doc and mike_elmer I use nothing but Federal primers. When I first started reloading in 1973 I used them all and worried myself sick over which to use. I then surveyed my targets and discovered most of my smallest groups were with the Federal primers. That was years ago and I haven't looked back. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started I would pick up a few flats here and there of whatever I could get.

At some point I standardized on Federal and have been very happy with them. I suspect I would have been just as pleased with CCI also.

I haven't used Win or Rem primers much but haven't been all that impressed with what I have tried.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am just unlucky, or live in an area that ruins primers in storage or something. Before 1988, I would have opined that any brand of primer was just fine, except for precision match use. Then I had some very obviously weak primers in one brand, which for some reason I cannot now recall, I fired out of otherwise empty cases.. Then I had a failure to fire in a BR primer. There was no stryphate in the primer at all. Then, some years later, a couple of squibs, the second of which was without any doubt a primer failure, as all the cartridges in the batch had been disassembled and checked after the first squib.

I've used Federal match primers in all my match loads ever since the BR primer of a different brand failed. After the squibs, I've since gone to Federals for every load. The squibs were in a handgun load.

If you want to know what primers BR shooters use, ask Precision Shooting for a sample issue and go to the back where equipment and components are listed by shooter in the match results. These folks are usually very picky about components and try to use only the most consistent quality items.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester primers for everything except my .257 Wby Mag. For it I use Federal Magnum Match primers.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I selected Federal components decades ago because I believed they were the best. Their brass has since deteriorated in quality, but their primers remain second to none.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester.The guys at Federal have done nothing lately.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
CCI or winchester thats all I've ever used

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My choice depends on the use(s) to which they are put.

For match work, I use either Winchester or Federal, interchangeably. Both produce as good accuracy as one can want for match use though the loads may be VERY slightly different in charge weight for absolute top results. Time spent "learning" the particular rifle is probably more productive of top accuracy than obsessing over primer make.

That need to slightly adjust charge weight, of course, can be true between different "lots" of the same make as well.

For hunting loads, I use whatever I can find the quickest, easiest, or cheapest. For hunting I've never found a primer which wasn't adequate.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
CCI in all but my .454 Casul. In that I use Federal because it is the only primer that will fire every time.

I guess I do have a partial box of Winchester Mag primers that I need to use up.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding? For pistol loads, use whatever primer you can find the cheapest. Primers are incredibly reliable. I've never had a failure (due to the brand or quality of the primer) in 40 years of reloading, using every brand of primer of U. S. manufacture, plus German, Italian, and Japanese manufactured primers. I picked up some Brazian Magtechs and expect them to do just fine.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote