THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the .416 Remington being discontinued???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Last year, I remember reading/hearing about the discontinuation of the .416 Remington. However, to this day Remington is still making rifles and ammo, and Federal is making ammo. What's the scoop? Was this a rumor that never materialized, or are the companies just still trying to move existing stock of a cancelled item?

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
RSY,

They just made a new batch of 416 Rem brass this year. It is a popular African caliber.

I have one, I hope they don't discontinue it!

If they come out with a 416RUM, it probably would be the end of the 416Rem.

Don
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a VERY interesting question, and one that my shooting budies have thrown around a lot. What will Remington do about a .416 on the RUM brass??????

The belted .416 Rem sold beyond their dreams and is a very popular cartridge. Will they tromp all over that by bringing out a .416 RUM?? If RP doesn't, will someone else??

If Big Green chooses not to introduce a .416 RUM, I bet it becomes a VERY popular wildcat. It will do everything the belted .416 Rem will at lower pressures - a nice advantage in some climates.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Remington better not discontinue it, I just got mine 2 weeks ago! Maybe I should get more brass while I can.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Antonio>
posted
I think it is just that: a rumor...

Why would Remington discontinue a round that works very well?

Even if they did bring out a 416 RUM (a round in which I would not be at all interested...), nothing forces them to discontinue the 416 Rem as a consequence...

Winchester has the 300 Win Mag and the 300 WSM and nobody asking for one to be discontinued...

They will discontinue any caliber that won�t sell...

Antonio

<Bill>
posted
Well, Weatherby is bringing out a 416 Remington in thier Fibermark model for this coming year. I guess noone told them.

-------

www.rifleshooter.com

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 11-17-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington bean counters are famous for such stunts they been doing it for years...the 5MM, 8mm mag. changed the 280 a bunch of times, quit making all sorts of brass and ammo,...they are strictly cash oreinted in there thinking, never have fixed the triggers. you couldn't get 416 brass for damn near 3 years.

If they figure they can make you buy a 416 RUM, they will of course discontinue the 416 REm and make you buy the RUM....but it won't work this time, 375 is too easy to come by.

After all its the American way.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
Ray....Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that 416 rem can be formed from 375 Holland & Holland simply by using a tapered expander in 416 rem die and then fire forming.

<Don G>
posted
jagtip,

That's what I do for practice rounds, but they come out .030-.050 too short after expansion.

Tod,

I would buy a lifetime supply of .416 Rem while it's at $0.40/round. A year and a half ago it was $1.00/round and hard to find.

Don

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that MAST(BeLL) also manufactures formed .416 Rem. brass as well as belted cylinders you can form. So even if the bean counters do make what would be a stupid decision there will be at least one source of good brass.
As far a quality goes, in my experience, BeLL has all over Remington.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote