Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 270 WSM and Barnes 140 gr TSX BT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys,

I have been trying to develop a load for my 270WSM and can't get it to shoot better than 1.5-3 MOA. I have tried an assortment of powders including RL-19, RL-22, IMR 4350, IMR 4831, IMR 7828, H4831, and Retumbo. I recently brought some Magnum powder by Ramshot that I will try as well. I have not brought any of the powders up to max load yet as I was hoping that one powder would stand out and then I could bump it up from there. Maybe I should concentrate on a couple of powders and try to work the load to max?

I am 50 thou off the lands as the Barnes website recommends and wondering if I should change my seating depth one way or another? How far off the lands are you to achieve the best accuracy?

I don't think it's time to give up on the Barnes yet but my Factory Accubonds shoot better! Maybe I should try loading up some of them??? Suggestions please!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
my Factory Accubonds shoot better! Maybe I should try loading up some of them???

I think you just solved your problem yourself! One last powder you could try would be Vihtavuori N-165. And if the N-165 won't shoot the Barnes bullets, give it a try with some 140 gr Accubonds. My Model 70 likes 65.0 gr with a Federal 210 primer, and shoots almost as well with a Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer. Of course, your rifle may be different, so start around 63 gr and work up, watching for pressure signs. Good luck, but I will be very surprised if the Accubonds don't shoot a lot better than the TSX.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starting with your best load so far, try seating them deeper.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
k-22hornet,

How much deeper would you go? That will also bring the pressure up to?