New
Find
Notify
Tools

New press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at buying a new more progressive press than my rock chucker to load the higher volume loads like .223 and 9mm. I was looking at the Dillon 550B to purchase. I would be interested in input both pros and cons from anyone with experienced with this press. I would probably load around 6K loads per year max.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Dillon 650. I have both a 550 and a 650. I use the 550 for short to medium runs of various hunting rounds.
The 650 really shines for cranking out mass quantities of .223, .308, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.
Definitely get the powder checker alarm.
both .223 and 9mm can be hateful to load because of the crimped primer pockets on all the milsurp brass that you find on the range. You might want to look into a primer pocket swager or reamer.
Use a ball powder for loading the .223 on a Dillon.
Enjoy
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have the 550 a friend has the 650. The 650 is more temperamental but it is also a lot faster.

If money is no object look at the 1050 it also removes the primer pocket crimp.

I also like my rock chucker but I only use it for rifle brass that I want more accuracy out of.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mohunt:
Looking at buying a new more progressive press than my rock chucker to load the higher volume loads like .223 and 9mm. I was looking at the Dillon 550B to purchase. I would be interested in input both pros and cons from anyone with experienced with this press. I would probably load around 6K loads per year max.[/QUOTE

You won't regret the Dillon 550 or up. I bought a 450 many years ago and have since upgraded with all the 550 bells & whistles except for the frame.

Recently purchased a 2nd (also upgraded) 450 used. I leave one set up for large primers and one for small primers. This press was missing the small plastic thrust washer on the powder measure. Called Dillon, told them it was a used press and I needed to buy this washer and the powder measure bushing and they shipped, no charge. Their "no BS" warranty is one of the best in the industry!

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least everyone agrees on brand. For loading 6K/yr I think I'd sell my 550 and go to a 650.
Well maybe I'd only buy a new 650

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RL550B. I would recommend you buy the Dillon brand 9mm and .223 dies for whichever model Dillon you end up with. They have features specifically for progressive presses.

Dillon has one of the best, if not THE best, reputations in the industry. I doubt that you'll find anyone who sells his Dillon press for a Lee or Hornady.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload 10k rounds .40S&W per year without problems and minimun effort with a 550B . It works for me.

Pistol Dillon dies are the best, by far if using plain cast bullets with lube. It is possible to clean lube from the Seating die and Crimping die without modifying their adjustments.
It is also possible to disassembly and assembly depriming shank of Sizing/Depriming die without adjustment modificaction.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Go for the 550B. I tried the 650 and the 550B. The 650 is a definate step up in speed if you add the case feeder. The issue I had with it is the primer assembly, which is picky at best.

The 550B will consistantly load 2-300 rounds an hour even for a novice. The real time with both machines is going to be in case prep and primer loading. Considering you are only loading 6000 a year it would spread out to about about 1/2 hour a week if you take your time. Save the money up front and sell the 550B on ebay for about 80-90% of what you spent in the event you want to get your round count over 10K.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mohunt, you have a PM.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information, I am going to go ahead and make the 550 purchase. I will still use the rock chucker for my big game rounds but loading rounds for prairie dog shooting and pistol shooting has been too time comsuming and gets me in trouble with the wife not getting other things done. I have asked her to help me but she has not bit on that idea yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was advised to get the 650 xl, I am still to set it up I have no room at the moment. I bought it in 45/70.

I intend when my life smoothes out to do a lot more shooting !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the purchase, you will not be disappointed. Just wait until you load all of your ammo on the 550B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For less than $100-, Dillon's primer pocket swager is a screamin' deal. Makes fast work of a not too fun job.
I have used their RL450 since 1983, and am still happy. Their warranty is truly "no b/s" and bullet proof to boot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady L-N-L Progressive will load most any caliber...Rifle or Pistol.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote