Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win Mag Northfork Loads - done for elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Well, I finally got loads tuned in for my 458 Whitworth. I have to say I love the Magnetospeed Chronograph. It reads a truer velocity than the chronys that sit out front and when something goes awry (like never), you don't have to wait for a cease fire to fix it.

Here's where I ended up:

450 gr NF FPS
450 gr NF SS
3.34" Length each
72 gr A2230 each
Hornady brass; Lee factory crimp die

Both bullets have the same POI at 50 yards. And same FPS 2,225.

I tried the SS with one grain less, figuring the slightly longer bullet would yield higher pressures and velocity, but it was 25 fps slower. I guess the extra length of the bullet added friction in the barrel.

This was originally my backup rifle for my elephant hunt (supposed to leave Friday, but permit is still TBD), but my 404 is in limbo. It was going to be my primary, but my 404 is 2 weeks late from getting checkered.

At least I have a rifle! Now the permit.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
You'll do more than just fine with these loadings in your .458 Whitworth.

Be safe and enjoy your hunt!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote