THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    case neck shaving slivers off the bullet, what's up?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

case neck shaving slivers off the bullet, what's up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen, I just loaded some 110 gr test loads for a .308. The brass is once fired LC that was full length resized. I noticed on about 5 of the 15 loads what looked like small slivers of the bullet jacket stuck in around the mouth of the neck when the bullet was seated. I've never seen this before and don't know if it's an issue or not. I could easily flick all the jacket slivers off the necks but I don't know if this situation would affect bullet flight or pressure or anything else. I'm not sure what caused it either. Some of them did seem to take more pressure to seat, but not all. If you veteran loaders have any insight into this I'd love to hear from you. Coincidentally, some of the powder charges almost filled the case to the top of the neck. (IMR-4064 47GR to 49.5GR) The bullet then had to compress the powder to be fully seated. (2.6 OAL) That's not unusual either is it? Thanks for your input.

Barry bewildered

Posts: 52 | Location: Midwester | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Are the cases new or freshly trimmed? If so did you chamfer the case mouths? The burr on new or freshly trimmed brass needs to be removed before using.
As for the powder charge levels in the case. If the loads are from published sources, and were worked up in your brass/rifle, you should have no problems. The labs noticed no trouble with compressing the powder in them and you should not either.

Edited to add; You might check the seating die body and make sure the die isn`t crimping the case mouth the last few thousandths the bullet is seating. This will cause the case to shave the bullet also.
Adjust the die body in with a EMPTY case in the shell holder and ram at the top of its stroke. When you feel the die contact the case back it off a full turn and lock it in place. Now adjust the seating stem to set the OAL you want your ammo to be. For 99% of the cartridges and their needs a crimp is not needed nor always desired.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Chamfer the case mouths. Measure your expander button, only needs to be .002" smaller than bullet diameter. If under .306" get a new expander button. GI brass is thicker/heavy, less room for powder inside. Hodgdon's website will show if your loading is a compressed charge or not. Good info from Ol'Joe on bullet seating.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good info up there.
you can always put a little flare on the case mouth it don't hurt anything.
and the seater will straighten them out for you.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
back when I started reloading, I would take a handle of a pick thing and roll it around inside the case mouth to flare it out (like you do for pistol rounds) and the crimp/seat die would flatten it down. It worked well but eventually I just used the deburring tool to make it smoother (had to because case trimmer left sharp edges) but even that would shave the bullet a little (the inside 45 degree angle ended up being sharp) a couple weeks ago I got a lyman inside neck reamer that had a very sharp taper to it and I could feel the difference while seating bullets after using it. no scraping feeling at all. I'm not sure the angle difference between this and rcbs' vld (very low drag) tool but either would help. It should be under 10 bucks, a good tool for reloading.

Posts: 79 | Location: northwest | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
A Lyman "M" die is used to flare & expand a rifles case mouth for a cast lead bullet. Should work for jacketed as well if all else fails. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=129697

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Get a Lyman VLD tool like this to chamfer the inside of the case mouth:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=342199

That'll solve it. Been using one for years now and they work great.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's only one thing I can think of that would cause bullet jacket shaving, and that is NOT chamfering your case mouths with the required tool.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, they are all good info. I did chamfer the case mouths after I trimmed them but not very aggressively. I do think I feel the seating die contact the case a little too soon when I try to seat the bullets.
I'll try re-adjusting the seating die with the ram up. 

quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
Are the cases new or freshly trimmed? If so did you chamfer the case mouths? The burr on new or freshly trimmed brass needs to be removed before using.
As for the powder charge levels in the case. If the loads are from published sources, and were worked up in your brass/rifle, you should have no problems. The labs noticed no trouble with compressing the powder in them and you should not either.

Edited to add; You might check the seating die body and make sure the die isn`t crimping the case mouth the last few thousandths the bullet is seating. This will cause the case to shave the bullet also.
Adjust the die body in with a EMPTY case in the shell holder and ram at the top of its stroke. When you feel the die contact the case back it off a full turn and lock it in place. Now adjust the seating stem to set the OAL you want your ammo to be. For 99% of the cartridges and their needs a crimp is not needed nor always desired.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think it is crimping too soon, back off
and seat and crimp in two steps. Probably better anyway.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I, too, have begun crimping in a separate action. When setting up my seating die to seat the bullet, I put a case in the shell holder and turn down the die until I feel it touch the case mouth then I back it out approx. 1 turn and lock it down. I then adjust the seating plug for the correct seating depth.

I have been crimping nearly everything with the Lee Factory Crimp die--even the bullets with a cannelure. They perform really well for me.

Good luck.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone here said: "the inside 45 degree angle ended up being sharp"

I used to notice the same shaving, even after carefully and adequately deburring with a Wilson chamfering tool (like the one pictured above) and making sure the seating die was not crimping.

Had me thinking... But it turned out to be exactly the problem I quoted that was mentioned.

Now, after "deburring," I put a copper bore brush in a drill and wrap a little steel wool around the end of the brush.

A quick spin in each case neck removes the burrs left by the deburring tool. No more shavings! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the chamfer tool and the brass brush is the ticket. The only other thing I can think of is the bullet was tipping sideways before it got pushed into the neck but I don't know if it can even do that.

Thanks guys, Barry

quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:
As someone here said: "the inside 45 degree angle ended up being sharp"

I used to notice the same shaving, even after carefully and adequately deburring with a Wilson chamfering tool (like the one pictured above) and making sure the seating die was not crimping.

Had me thinking... But it turned out to be exactly the problem I quoted that was mentioned.

Now, after "deburring," I put a copper bore brush in a drill and wrap a little steel wool around the end of the brush.

A quick spin in each case neck removes the burrs left by the deburring tool. No more shavings! Smiler

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only other thing I can think of is the bullet was tipping sideways before it got pushed into the neck but I don't know if it can even do that.
Yes, it happens.
The seating stem should make contact with the ogive/sides of the bullet, never the pointed nose/meplat. Some companys like RCBS will custom fit a stem to your bullet if needed. The adjustment of the seating die has to be correct also. The case mouth should stop just short of the crimping ring in the die (RCBS type).This adjustment holds the case in alignment. Less movement side to side on seating. A 308 in a bolt gun should not ever need crimping with proper neck tension.