Find
Notify
Tools

SOS: Neck down 375 to 30 cal
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Hi

I have to help a friend with reloading. He has problems to neck down to 375 H&h cases to 30 cal. Will it work if you neck it down to 8 mm first? The cases has colapsed below the chest.

All advise is needed
Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've never tried that conversion. From 30 caliber to 6mm I was lucky most of the time to be able to neck down, however, to insure not losing too many cases I always used an intermedate caliber, in that case 7mm. From 404 to 338 I've had to use an intermediate die. Not sure if it's 375 or 35, but I've never lost a case doing so. In your friends case, from either 35 caliber or 8mm, and lubing the necks well to start, you should be OK. I've been able to get from 35 caliber to 30 caliber with no brass loss and without an intermediate die.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN,

If you use new brass then coming down through two caliber ranges usually works. I can do 375 H&H to 300 H&H in one go, but not with fired 375s. Although n this case the shoulder gets all cracks in it.

Necking down calibers witha sharp shoulder lie the 284 canbe difficult. I could never come from 284 Winchester to 6mm.284 but had to use a 6.5mm necking die first up.

If you are trying make 300 Wbys then that for me had lots of problems. In that case the reforming of the shoulder caused the problem.

Are you trying to bring 375 H&Hs down to 300 Wby?

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Check with Redding, they may have a 3-die set of case forming dies for this job.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
JOHAN,

We do this in 3 steps - it will be very difficult not to damage the cases if you do it in one stage.

We use a set of dies supplied by Neil Jones. This set has several bushings, which we interchange, and can go down to 270 from a 404.

About necking them down to 8mmfirst, it might work, you just have to try it and see yourself.

Good luck.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Dear Friends

Yes we were trying to make 300H&H cases out of 375 H&h cases. Some of the cases are new and others are once fired. Afriend of mine did this berore and it worked well the caliber were 340 wby.

Saeed tell me. This Neil Jones die with bushings is that a universal die that could be used on all rounds that are based in "family". So if you have a die for the 375 family you can make all sorts of calibers from 244- H&H to 375 H&H? What is your opinion about the quality of this die.

Thanks again fellows
/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned above my new 375 brass put hrough a Hornady 300 H&H die is OK. Fired 375s crack at the shoulder.

This is not really an issue of 375 caliber to 30 but the reforming of the shoulder as is also the case with 375 H&H put through 300 Wby full length die.

Are you are unable to buy 300 H&H brass over there?

I only put some 375s through 300 H&H dies to see how it would go with both new and fired 375s.

In Australia 300 H&H, 300 Winchester, 7mm Remington, 375 H&H brass is all equally available and about the same cost. Would not be worth buying any sort of die since the cases are cheap.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Mike 375

Finding 300 H&h cases are difficult in Sweden. winchester makes them , but the swedish agent for winchester are true morans, they don't know about that. My buddy ordered 300 H&h cases from them and got 300 win mag?? Norma makes nice brass so we try to stick with them.

My friends rifle is a hartmann und weiss 98. He found it at an action with a bad barrel and none on the rednecks knew anything about the brand or value. I think the original caliber was 275 or 244 H&H.

Do you think it would work to anneal once fired cases and reform them

Cheers
JOHAN

[ 06-03-2002, 00:39: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN,

When I push fired 375s through my Hornady 300 H&H die the shoulder on the formed case has a lot vertical cracks. New cases are OK but they have very small vertical marks. So perhaps annealing may help.

Can you bring cases into Sweden yourself. If so, then get 300 H&H cases from Huntingtons as they provide excellent service in sending stuff out of America.

If you can't bring cases in yourself from Huntingtons, then perhaps you can arrange for Huntingtons to send them to one of your gun dealers.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
JOHAN,

Yes sir it is.

The one I have was made to our own specs, to neck a 404 to 243.

We have a total of 18 bushings for it.

I think if you call them and tell them what you want, they will make you a suitable die set.

Excellent workmanship too.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I have just necked fired WW .375 H&H and new Remington .375 H&H brass to .300 H&H with no problems in one pass in a RCBS FL die.

What .30 cal are you trying to neck too?

If the necks or shoulders wrinkle it's due to too much lube on the case neck or shoulder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I necked down Winchester cases and the verticla crinkles are not from too much lube, of that, I can assure you.

Mike

<Big Stick>
posted
Gents,

I've found it a case forming aid,to utilize the desired case's seating die,as a "forming" die.

As per usual,lube is required,but the seating die can be used in incremental steps,to yield the desired finished product.

The "nicer" you are to your brass,the longer it lasts. As per usual,your mileage may vary..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan

I resize 375 H&H to 300 H&H in one pass with Hornady dies , and now I found more than 100 cases one fired , Weatherby 300 H&H made in Sweden [Smile] , and I convert to H&H with out problem , think you dont have the right lube there are the special ones for case reforming , with Lee sizing paste it's OK for me , old RCBS lube don't work as smooth .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan: In answer to your original question, yes, it may help to run your cases through an 8mm die first (8mm Rem Mag? 8x68?).

If your cases are collapsing below the neck, it sounds like they are too soft in the shoulder area, not too hard. If this is the case, then necking down a step at a time (.358 to .338 to 8mm) would be the way to go.

Also, if using fired brass which is work-hardened, carefully anneal the NECKS only by standing the deprimed cases in a pan of water filled up to the middle of the shoulder. Carefully heat with a small torch, then tip the case over in the water. Too much annealing is as bad as too little.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote